Saturday, August 20, 2011

 

Keeping a diary.

I felt a little nervous going to Ford - the last visit had propelled my brain back 20 years to a time when I was very ill indeed.
But, whatever is going on right now, I am far from that world now.
We both bought some interesting things.





























Amongst my items are 2 diaries.
One is a 1964 Eagle diary; I was disappointed that it didn't contain the random thoughts and doings of a young teenage boy! For some reason this diary was taken over by a middle aged/old ( I am guessing) woman. She started the year unwell for some weeks and recovered to a life of church, the midweek social club, laundry and shopping with some visits to and from people she knew - particularly the trusty Pat and leslie who did her weekely shopping for her when she was ill.
The other diary is much more interesting. It is for the year 1893.
The pages at the front have some notes and lists - preparations for a journey.
The writer - CRA Sutton - seems to have been a ship's doctor accompanying passengers and crew from Cardiff to Australia. I can't read his writing well, so can't make out the name of the ship. But I think he returned on a ship called Coptic.

The name of the ship is in the second line - looks a bit like Zhawance.
Any ideas.























The diary writer read a great deal on the voyage and played cricket.
He administered morphine to the captain when his gout got too bad. The diary needs lots of study  - more than I have given it thus far.

We breakfasted in Littlehampton, of course.
Then walked by the river along to the pier, where I enjoyed sitting in the sunshine and watching people on the beach - an air of positive happiness makes me feel good. I guess most beaches are positive places.

Littlehampton tends to throw us little dramas to experience.
Today's was almost certainly leading to a death.

It maybe doesn't look like a tragedy.
But somehow this pigeon landed in the river.
He did not have the ability to take off from the water.
Somehow he flapped his wings and with great effort got to the side of the river; but it is a harbour estuary with steep boarded sides - so there was nowhere for him to go - nowhere he could take off from.
We could see he was shivering with cold or fear.