Tuesday, August 23, 2011

 

The dreaded school report.

An interesting, lazy day.
Lazy yes - but still I nodded off to sleep after dinner this evening.
At the moment, Jenny is doing lots of clearing out. I think my father must have saved almost every scrap of paper written by him or sent to him.
Jenny is carefully going through it all and keeping what seems relevant, interesting or potantially interesting or useful to somebody.
I am glad to say that she has found more of the stuff I years ago sorted out from the Mitchell home, with thought of it all going to the museum society. I knew there had been more than we found in our loft.
Some of the papers no longer feel relevant to Jenny - and never were.
There is a suitcase full of letters sent between my parents. I haven't looked at any yet - I shall be moved to read them, but I feel it might be Roger's job to store them; if we feel that they should be stored - I am not sure who of the next generation would want them.
Being self centred (aren't we all?), I have already browsed through my old school reports.
Ifield Grammar School assessed me and judged me and found me wanting.
I guess this is very much as I wanted it to be - I had no ambitions to be a completely co-operative student.
I can look back to see that the school was also found wanting, for no attempts that I can remember were ever made to help me find a sense of direction. There was no flexibility - I could take their education or leave it.
I rather floundered somewhere between conformity and rebellion.
Looking back, I rather regret not pursuing out and out rebellion!
The comments on the report show their sense of bafflement.
Most people, I guess would look back with pride at praise and high grades.
I wonder why I look back with pride at " Rather disappointing, although she does, spasmodically, try".
Oh, and Roger don't think you get away with it!
I have here reports of yours, which I will give you in a couple of weeks.
These are junior school reports only.
I also have a wind up gramophone and records for you.
I also have Robin's reports, which I think Michaela would like to have.
Time for sleeping again soon.