Thursday, April 14, 2011

 

Unexpected expenses

Expensive day!
What with the cat and a broken plate.
Harry the Cat has an abscess on his ear. I cleaned it last night and again this morning; but finally thought this one should be seen by the vet. A cat's ear is very thin and the inside was scarred with the abscess and I really couldn't cope with the idea that it might drain into his ear.
Harry was not happy.
But what's new?
In fact he has been quite content and relaxed until quite recently.
A neighbouring cat has been bothering him. I have evidence that a cat has tried to get in through the cat flap - and probably succeeded when we were fast asleep.
This has sent Harry very jittery.
The abscess and another small wound suggest that at least Harry has made an attempt to defend his territory.
I wanted to close the cat flap at night and put down a litter tray; but Bill wants to hope that the problem will go away.
We'll see.
So that was £50.

The broken plate was not mine. It was mine for a short while, but it sold on Sunday - one of a pair of Denby plates.
The buyer informed me today that one arrived broken.
Bill wrapped them and normally he does a very good job, so I guess this was just one of those things.
Of course the buyer could be trying it on, but he offered to send the broken pieces back or send a photograph of it.
And he didn't know that whenever anything goes wrong, which is very rare, my policy is to give a full refund without delay.
So that was £18 I cannot add to the holiday fund.
But the wave of negative emotion that swept over me when I got the buyer's message has been swept away with the refund.


I still think the plates are attractive and fun.














In between time we went to Asda for a few bits and a few bargains.
There is a large chicken to roast, bought for £1.63. We'll have that tomorrow.
In the freezer, now, is a joint of lamb (normally more expensive than I would pay for), but today was just over £3, and other bits to be used at a future date.

Bill and I have both described more for EBay. The March box of things for sale is now empty at last.