Wednesday, April 06, 2011

 
The sun shone from a blue sky and warmth was promised.
This was not a day to be at home. The wide open spaces and fresh air beckoned.
We took a picnic to Ashdown Forest.
But first we called in at the village of Nutley, where there is a lovely antiques centre. It is a centre where all the dealers have similar interests - kitchen ware and kitchen and garden type furniture, some pine, some painted. It is very attractive.
I bought something for me and something for Pilgrims.
I found a pretty bottle with a violets label on. My latest little venture is to create a little violets world in the bathroom and loo.
They are lovely little flowers and Violet was my mother's given name (though not used).
I am sure there were violets in the churchyard. But my photo shows it surrounded by celandines with a few wood anemones.















We drove 2 or 3 miles to  a small car park on the road through Ashdown Forest - not a tree covered world, for the trees were cut down centuries ago. The story is that they were cut down to supply wood for Henry V111's navy.
We found a bench to settle on.

Enjoying the view.

Lashings of ginger beer!

I don't normally drink out of bottles.
But I had dropped one of the glasses we took with us.





























Yes - a violet to add to the bottle I bought earlier.


































We went to Crowborough after our walk - to see if it was any more interesting than last time. We didn't think so - sorry Crowborough.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle obviously liked it - he was a resident.
















Our plan was to go to the tea rooms at Duddleswell on the edge of the forest for  some tea and cake.
For the second time that we have attempted this, it was closed.
Bad luck Duddleswell!
We went on to Fletching which was entrancing and we had a wonderful cup of tea.
Pictures will be posted tomorrow.