Sunday, March 27, 2011

 

Keeping time at the track

Right now I am thinking that I would have been better off not losing an hour last night. I feel so tired - and my gut is complaining about it. I woke up just a few minutes before 7 o'clock. My radio reminded me that the Australian Grand Prix was about to start. Bill stirred and I suggested he turn the TV on. I went and made cups of tea. I left Bill to watch the race in bed with his tea and chocolate digestives. Vettel was in the lead, with Hamilton in second.....and that's how it stayed for the whole race. What is the point of the race? Barring mechanical breakdowns, the race is pretty well decided by the qualifying rounds. We were at the track at 11 o'clock to meet up with friends and colleagues we had not seen since last summer. It was the first track meeting of the season. It was busy - very well attended. This is good news indeed, after a few lean years. There were 5 timekeepers and the electric timekeeping system. I was the chief timekeeper, which I enjoyed. Bill has checked his times against the electric readings and came up with an average error for the entire meeting of 3 hundredths of a second. Mine will be worse than that - if I ever get around to looking.

Bill and I pose on the timekeeping steps, modelling our new UKA identity tags.


The weather was good - but once the sun slipped behind the stand it did feel quite chilly in the wind.


I didn't have time to look at electric times today. I had a roast dinner to prepare and cook when we got in and also had to deal with a couple of EBay sales. The book on Guildford in The Great war sold for £23. I want an early night. I shall watch The Antiques Roadshow - whats left of it, and then go to bed. Professor Brian Cox is being recorded for a time when I can appreciate his knowledge and charms more.