Thursday, March 24, 2011

 

On the other side of the table at Ford.

The sun shone and we worked hard.
We left home at quarter to seven - but that could have/should have been earlier maybe. We were almost at the back of the queue to get into the Ford car boot sale ground.

The first half hour was madness! It is always like that at car boot sales, with people wanting to almost climb into the car to see what you have.
But at Ford, this morning, it was different.
Whatever we got out of the car people were picking up and buying straight away.
Of course everything we were selling today had, at one time, been destined for Pilgrims Antiques and profit. Now we were offering it to other dealers who were eager for their bite at the cherry.
Prices were low.
I had altered price tickets so that mostly I would be selling at a small profit.

As the stuff went on its merry way to who knows where I realised I was very much enjoying seeing it go.
Later I did see some of it again - on another stall. Good luck to them!
As the morning wore on I could see there was not enough left to do another boot sale any time soon.
And I was letting things go at silly prices until at last I was selling things of potential value for £1 an item.
I kept 5 things to see if the Ebay world would give me a little more.

When it was time to leave we had enough to fill 2 carrier bags, which were dropped off at a charity shop in Littlehampton.
We left with nothing - except the money.
And the money totalled more than we have taken at a boot sale before.
We now have £284 to put back into our funds - oh less the £6 stall money.
So everything was as we wanted it to be.
Money in pocket and empty space in the garage.

We rewarded ourselves with a lunch and half a pint of Hobgoblin beer in Wetherspoons.
Then we strolled round to the river and just stood and stared for a while. We were exhausted, but found the river both calming and exhilarating at the same time.

I had taken a camera with me - but by the time I had a chance to record our happy selling day the stall looked so thin that I didn't bother.

Of course I did find a chance to buy a little - some 1950s curtains, some books, some doll's dreses and a M&S jacket which is lovely and should sell well.
I am not sure what will happen to the bowl - pictured below.
It is a special souvenir piece in its box and features bridges of the north east. It is based on the 1929 original.
.
Two weeks ago we were walking on the bridge featured above.
I love bridges and am now loving the north east and I love the bowl. I think it is mine for the time being.
I also bought a three tiered electric vegetable steamer for £2. Our friend Jean has one and now that I no longer have the urgent need to boil vegetables to death to remove the potassium I shall give it a try. It works.
Bill has already been tidying in the garage. Tomorrow we will do a bit more and I might start some sort of stock take.
But now limbs feel weary.