Saturday, March 26, 2011

 

Boot sale, breakfast, beach, buys, boats.

The sun tried its best today - but it never reached the highs of the previous few days.

The day can be summed up briefly - browsing, buying, Balaton breakfast, beach, books, box, boats.
The boot sale was busy.
We both bought some interesting things.
I had quite a pile of books today.
All the purchases have been written up in my stock book and much has been stowed into a box, ready for the shop on Monday.

We walked on the beach before our breakfast - the tide was far far out.
The sea was lost in the thin sea mist which was hanging over Littlehampton.




I don't know if you like this sort of picture - but I feel really pleased with it.


This shows how, at low tide, the estuary and the ocean are very distinct for some distance out to sea.
This is just a very few minutes later and the dividing breakwater is almost covered.
The tide rushes in.
This afternoon we watched The Boat Race - an event steeped in earliest memories. We would listen to the commentary of this mysterious event with a vocabulary all of its own.
John Snagge would intone "One out, two out, three out" etc to convey to those that understood, the rate of the oars.
They passed by such places as Harrods Depository - I had never heard of Harrods and didn't know what a depository was. But it was obviously a major London landmark.
Chiswick 8? I had not a notion that we were referring to a small island known as an eyot.
I did know that universities existed - objects of reverence in our house. Bill really had no idea, but spent the morning of the race making light or dark blue rosettes.
I hope he wore a dark blue one.
I was always an Oxford supporter, taking the cue from my mother that it was kind to support the under dog.
They won today, Mother!
And they won in style and it was apparently unexpected.
Right - time for bed soon - especially as we lose an hour tonight.
Not that we are planning an early morning.