Saturday, December 18, 2010

 

Christmas is coming and the snow is falling.

This morning it snowed a lot for about 3 hours.
Bill took some pictures from open doors and windows rather than venture out.





The snow stopped falling about midday. The depth is not great - not like 2 weeks ago. I believe it is far worse a little to the north of us.
.
This was taken by my friend Donna near Redhill (10-12 miles to the north). She was taking her dog for a walk - named Summer!
Summer seemed to love the winter and her paws and fur were covered in snow.
We spent the afternoon sorting out some things for Christmas decoration.
We have the tree made of twigs that we have used for many years now; and I used a piece of the greenery we gathered last week for a goth tree, as Ecky and I planned. There are black baubles on it.
We have some of our silly bits scattered around the room too.
Hanging above the pretty tree are the pieces Bill and I made at Nymans and also the snow man and snow woman that have been part of our decorations since our first Christmas, which we celebrated in our furnished rooms in Albany Road in 1965.
I will take some pictures tomorrow.
We had offered to open the shop tomorrow. Pilgrims opens for the Sundays before Christmas. I am quite sure that the journey there would have been OK - though who can say what conditions might be like in the Dorking area. Anyway Monika told us that Jonathan and his partner were prepared to do it instead of us - he felt that his journey would be easier than ours.
We decided to accept gratefully.
No problems with the weather in Thailand - Jamie and family have been enjoying a wonderful street festival in Phuket Town.
He'll have photos on his blog and on facebook very soon.
I would so love to be there for Christmas.
One day maybe- even if Jamie is working all the hours of the day.
Listening to Folk at Christmas on BBC 4 as I write - its the second time I have heard it in the last week or so.
But I'll turn back to BBC 1 at 9 o'clock for the last part of Strictly Come Dancing.
I would love to see 61 year old Pamela Stephenson win - not just because she is an older woman who has found a talent to dance, but because she has style and has a freedom to perform without inhibitions.
But for a while I'll just tap my feet as the Unthank sisters sing and dance.
What a very odd surname!