Tuesday, December 14, 2010

 

Deck the halls with boughs of holly.

Yesterday evening I was in bed by half past nine.
And I didn't push the covers off and rise until half past eight in the morning.
There were some restless times in between - listening to the radio and listening to Bill snoring!
And did I feel better for crashing out for 11 hours?
No - I didn't.
I felt weak and shivery this morning and my eye hurt. At least whatever was bothering my eye has shifted now.
I just couldn't get started on anything this morning.
After lunch I pushed myself into action.
My plan had been to find some winter greenery for Christmas decoration.
So we drove the short distance to the end of Parish Lane.
We walked a bit and found some holly.



I would guess that trees had already been stripped nearly bare of red holly berries.
We added some little branches cut from small conifer trees.
I have a large earthenware jug in the garage - for sale one day.
I shall use it to display this winter bouquet.
Parish Lane is an odd area - rural and yet not rural.
The forest is there to one side and on the other side are farm buildings and other large houses, now being used for commercial purposes. I get a slightly uneasy feeling that something hush hush might be going on along Parish Lane.
Striding across the forest are electricity pylons.
These industrial constructions have a sort of beauty of their own, silhouetted against the sky.



Wonderful blue sky!
But it felt chilly and damp. We didn't want to stay out very long.
I think we are both feeling run down. It is that deepest darkest time of the year feeling.
This time next week we can celebrate and think ahead to the lengthening days.

The last items on EBay this year have now sold. I must start some describing so as to get some things listed very soon after Christmas.
I think there will be another early night this evening.