Sunday, December 12, 2010

 

Eric Ravilious and the X Factor.

This morning I found something a little bit special at Dorking station car park.
It reminded me of how much knowledge I have built up over the years.
It is just one item from an early 1950s dinner service - but it is the sauce boat on a plate, which is better, of course, than just a dinner plate.
It is made by Wedgwood; the design is called Persephone....and the designer is Eric Ravilious.
I knew that as soon as I saw it - the dealer selling it had not a clue.
He sold it to me for £1.
In the new year it will try its luck on EBay.

It was chilly this morning. We didn't stay too long in Dorking. I bought a Pedigree doll and a glass rolling pin - and old one, maybe even Victorian. It advertises Melhuish Flour. I can't find anything much about this company.

We also saved money on cat food. We got 5 boxes of Whiskas sachets of food for £10 - that's 60 sachets. Supermarkets can't match that.

We were home by half past nine.
There has been some dozing and also working.
The dining room table is clear - everything written up and some is packed up to take to the shop tomorrow and other stuff will wait until after Christmas to go on display.

This evening is/has been TV night.
I'll be back in there very shortly for the final results of X Factor. I picked the 2 finalists weeks ago - right at the beginning.
I think the girl, Rebecca, has a unique voice which takes my breath away.
I know she will do well whether she comes first or second - but I might be back in a minute feeling a bit disappointed.
But then again, Matt is also outstanding.
X Factor has found two stars.
.......
And Matt is the winner and I am not actually that disappointed. Rebecca will make a brilliant album next year.
What fun it has been.

Time for a cup of tea.