Sunday, July 18, 2010

 

Back on duty at the track

I did it! I listened to my body - and the message the brain was sending me.
I did not get up early.
Whatever was for sale at Pease Pottage this morning was not bought by me!

I felt a bit stronger after a reasonable night's sleep. I felt, at least, I could get my brain into gear!

We were at the track by 11 o'clock.
This was the first Young Athletes League meeting we have been to for many a long year.
It used to be our social life - meeting up with the other parents of the young lads who would be competing, travelling together in a coach.
But all our young athletes grew up - most gave up competing, though some did not. Most are now married and have youngsters of their own - and for those attached to the club it has become their social life.
There is one big difference between then and now - girls!
It used to be a competition for boys up to the age of 17, and now it is for girls too.
The programme, which is very full, has been worked out very well and it flows smoothly.
There were enough timekeepers today (just) and I had already been grateful that Keith offered to take over as the chief timekeeper.
I sat alongside Bev, a timekeeper from Hastings who I had not met before.
There was lots of enthusiasm and good racing. This is how we should be seeing young people instead of as the tabloid press would have us believe they all are.
Yes, of course, I am glad that Crawley were winners - not sure that will win the league though; but I am most glad to see hard work and fair play and an appreciation of each other's efforts.

I am tired now - but not like I was last night.

Labels: