Sunday, July 11, 2010

 

Sunday work and games.

We decided to take things a bit easy today.
We opted for the car boot sale at Sayers Common, which doesn't get going until 9 o'clock.
We left home under very grey skies - very threatening.
As we began to walk amongst the first stalls light drizzle was falling, which soon became quite heavy rain.
We were soon wet enough to want to be back in the car.
But it didn't last for very long and soon we were browsing again.
Bill bought farm animals and people and buildings. Having sold a lot of farm stuff last week, and having been told that the French dealer would be back, it seemed like a good idea.
I bought a number of things which I think will appeal to customers. I'll say a bit more about it when I get to the photos.
We also bought clothes - of course!
I bought a few bits for 50ps and a pound from one lady and then asked how much the lovely coat hanging on the car would be. That would be a pound - I had to have it!
Do I need another coat? Well, not this week maybe.
Bill found some M&S trousers in his size - never worn for £3.
We also bought lovely jams - the golden plum and kiwi fruit I have bought before. Excellent it is.
I like the idea of another called apples and pears - just because apples and pears is cockney rhyming slang for stairs.
And we bought 2 hardy fuchsias - Mrs Popple and Army Nurse.
And some DVDs were added to the pile to be taken to Thailand - League of Gentleman, Jamie; and Extras.

This afternoon the Grand Prix was on - our young men somehow did very well again. But I didn't see very much of it.
Later I saw some of the last day's play in the golf from Loch Lomond.
Later - in a few minutes - we have the next stage of the Tour de France highlights.
Why are we all delighted that Lance Armstrong had a bad day and now cannot win the race?
And then of course - its the football world cup final.
I am so happy that Europeans are contesting this. I have enjoyed time in both countries - Holland and Spain. But I will stick with my desire for a Dutch victory.

During the afternoon Bill and I both wrote up our purchases. Its all ready for the shop. This week we are there on Monday and Tuesday.

Now for three pictures.
The first is for those who don't look at Jamie's things on blogs or facebook.
A lovely picture of the Thai grand children.
They are at the floating restaurant at Bang Ron - we have been there more than once and look forward to the next visit.
I have to say that Jessica is turning into Audrey Hepburn!
It is her 9th birthday in a week or so.





A selection of "smalls".
That is how we term miscellaneous china and glass - as opposed to furniture.
It is a shame I didn't have the sugar bowl and milk jug on a little tray last week - the one in the bee hive design. Somebody bought a tea pot from me last week of the same design - apparently she collects bees. I hope she returns.
The red tea pot, shaped like a tomato is Japanese and dates from the years of the occupation of Japan after WW2 - 1945 - 52.
I love the blue jug. It is Torquay Ware.
I have a jug of the same pattern, which may almost be our oldest possession.
It was given to us as a wedding present by a neighbour of my Granny and Grandad - probably from her own kitchen cupboard.
I didn't specially like it then - I was a brash 20 year old who loved the sleek designs of the 1960s. But we have kept it - and I am glad of that.
And here is Bill's farm. Mr and Mrs Farmer to the left, have a wide variety of animals on their farm.
Right, time to put the kettle on and enjoy the last part of the World Cup. It is half time now - and no score.

Labels: , ,