Saturday, July 10, 2010

 

Athletics again.

I scrambled from my bed, donned some clothes and rushed off to Faygate.
Maybe I donned the wrong clothes - it was misty and murky and I felt under dressed in T shirt and shorts.
And anyway, it was all really a waste of time.
I have bought one book to sell on - will make about £1 on it!
I bought a DVD for Jamie and Mam, a skirt for Ecky and a big jar of mango chutney.
And that was it.
So, I went home for a shower and some breakfast.

Later we went to the track for a men's southern league match - actually 2 matches going on during the afternoon.
There were 9 teams there in all - and each team should supply a time keeper. And how many did we have? Well, there was Bill and me and Cecil.
Cecil is a character! He has been involved in the world of athletics for many, many years. He was a race walker in his prime. His prime was a long time ago - I think he is 82.
He is not very fit now, not very mobile.
It is probably his continuing involvement with the sport that keeps him going.
He lives alone - somehow I doubt that he ever married.
He doesn't have the will or ability to look after himself quite as much as he should.
I am not sure how often his clothes are washed. And they are not discarded even when beyond repair.
His shirts usually have remains of food down them - even 25 years ago when he would have been a man in his 50s!
Today he turned up in a long sleeved white (was white once) vest type thing and bright red braces.
I should have had my camera with me.
But I have found a picture of him on a web site - in winter clothing; and the coat covers up all manner of unmentionables!


That's Cecil on the left, watch in hand to time the runners in at a cross country meeting.
He has a Queens Park Rangers football scarf on. The athletics club he is attached to is Queens Park Harriers.
Bill and I looked after him and chatted. I would hate to think that he felt unwanted - though in truth I think Bill and I could just about have managed on our own.

Crawley's B team were in action today - led by an old athletics colleague of Jamie's, Tim Kimber. Tim looks a very fit and toned 40 year old.
The Crawley B team were in competition with other club's only teams - and we were beaten by Eastbourne.

I came home to sort out 3 EBay sales - well, send the invoices. The books are not yet wrapped.
And we watched today's stage of le Tour de France.

Men from BT have been in evidence today. They came, they saw and were defeated.
They will be back!
Another neighbour was round this morning to have a shared grumble about the situation.
Troubles do bring people together.

Now for a cup of tea and a think about where we want to be tomorrow morning.

Labels: