Friday, June 27, 2008

 

27th June This can't be what they call summertime.

Please..... could we have some proper summer!
The clematis in the front garden is loaded with blooms and we should be sitting out there with the flowers. Tennis is being played - with some interruptions today. It should be summer!
But June is almost over and we are still waiting for warmth and sunshine.
Today has been fairish - not too much rain in these parts, but quite windy and it felt chilly and grey.

This morning we went to Asda for a bit of shopping and came home stocked up with bargains for the week.

Then we were at home to receive Emil, the book dealer. The only positive thing about his visit really was that it confirmed that I know what I am doing (more or less). It seems I was right to make the decision to dump all the books for a car boot sale, for they were of no interest to Emil.
He bought just 3 of them.

This afternoon we have been Spring cleaning. Many people might call it the weekly thorough clean - but in this house, clearing shelves and dusting them -along with all the bits and pieces on them happens but rarely, when the mood takes me.
Bill did more physical work - things done more regularly than the dusting of shelves. He had the vacuum cleaner out.

More tennis has been enjoyed - though not by the losers of course. Ana Avanovic (darling of our Jamie!), who was ranked number 1, was knocked out.

Today Ashley's Liz appeared on TV - on the Welsh news. The company she works for is expanding and creating 300 new jobs and today a Welsh Assembly minister visited Bangor..... and Liz was in shot on TV.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7476368.stm
Sorry - there is no picture of Liz on this news site, but it does explain what the company does for the health service.

I have been browsing a few web sites looking to buy some perfumes that I used to use a lot.
In recent years I had gone off aromas in my life, but this year I have been feeling more comfortable with a little perfume. Perhaps I am so afraid of smelling like rotting fish! That was what I noticed first when I had the bad leak whilst at the shop a while back.
I don't want to spend a fortune on perfumes - though I might if I could ever find the one I chose to wear as a bride all those years ago.
I have bought L'Aimant by Coty and Apple Blossom, which used to be by Helena Rubenstein, but is now produced by Kent Cosmetics (very apt for apples).

And now I shall dip in and out of the concert for Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday. I am so glad he has had so many years of life since release from his prison for it might have been release into freedom, old age and nothing. Instead he has packed a lifetime of achievements into his final chapters.

But I shall not stay up too late. If the weather is any good we will go off to a car boot sale tomorrow to buy - maybe Shoreham. It would be good to have some lunch and explore there after we have finished at the sale.

Time to put the kettle on - and persuade Bill that he doesn't need the dreadful Top Gear programme; he thinks it is a tawdry imitation of the motoring programme that used to be.
Goodnight.