Sunday, June 22, 2008

 

22nd June. Selling at a car boot sale.

Today we sold at a car boot sale.
It is really hard work.
The car was well loaded with boxes. We had just grabbed the first boxes in the garage, without much thought as to what was in them. We had 2 pasting tables, 2 camping tables and a set of folding shelves.
Once parked on the field as directed by the organisers we began to unload. It is a struggle to get things displayed because as soon as some things are on the table, people start buying them; so you are dealing with haggling and money.
It was also difficult today because of the mighty strong winds. All my china and glass was wrapped in newspaper and If I dared to let it slip to the ground it would then be blown across the field in double quick time. And I abhor litter!
Eventually we had everything out of the car and able to be viewed by the people strolling up and down the aisles of stalls.
After about 4 hours it was beginning to fizzle out and I began wrapping up the unsold items.
We found we had empty boxes - for we had sold quite a lot.
The prices we charged were ridiculously low - maybe dealers who bought from us will have better luck with these things than we did.
There had been lots of chatting of course.
When we got home we unloaded the car and counted the takings - considering the low prices, I think £121.30 was very good.
I spent much of the afternoon crossing things off in my file.
I was enjoying Day 2 of the European Cup (athletics) - a real pleasure because the GB men won and the women came 3rd, which was better than expected.
I then had to get to the computer to deal with EBay sales.
I was actually quite pleased that some of the things didn't sell, for they will make useful additions to displays in Pilgrims in Dorking.
But the selling was quite good and everybody has paid already.

And right now, in a word, I am exhausted! My legs are stiff and achy from all the hard work this morning.
And next Sunday we will probably do it all over again at a different venue.

And talking of the strong winds we had suffered, I should mention how much worse it has been along the North wales coast. Accidents, damage etc were the effects. I hope that Ashley was able to go on the trip to Holywell with the church today.

So, time for a cup of tea and soon to bed.
Goodnight.