Tuesday, June 17, 2008

 

17th June To be a Pilgrim

Regular readers of my blog will not be surprised to learn that a pleasant morning out has turned into a new project.
Jo wanted to go to the Dorking shop she is selling in to sort out the details of moving from her cabinets that she started with into a space that has come available. As she likes to sell small items of furniture it seemed like a good idea.
And suddenly it really did seem like a good idea to tell them in the shop that I would like to take over the cabinets that Jo had.
This really will be a cutting down the amount of space we are used to - yes, Bill is already involved in this project. But there is enough space to make something quite interesting. I am afraid it will involve Bill in constructing an open shelf to fit between the 2 cabinets.
One thing I really like is that these cabinets are clearly visible from the pavement and the shop is in a street renowned for antiques shops - some quite up market.
There is a wide window sill and each week a new window display is done, using items from every person's stock.
The people seemed friendly and agreed with my comment on the Rocking Horse traders - that they seemed to create an extended family.
Our commitment to the shop for one or both of us is just 2 days per calendar month. It will be Thursdays.
By the way the shop is called Pilgrims - because Dorking lies on The Pilgrims Way.
So now the work begins all over again.
The boxes out in the garage full of Rocking Horse stock must be sorted through and the best quality items transferred to other boxes and new labels made because of course I had reduced everything drastically in Rocking Horse to reduce the amount that would have to be packed up.
The prices must now return to what they were - indeed the feeling is that prices can be a bit higher in Dorking because it is such a mecca for collectors and dealers in West Street.
I have already made a start.
We have 2 weeks to get everything organised.
Then life will settle once again.
I am always optimistic about new projects, but I am also realistic. Just like when I have moved into shops in the past I have mentally given myself 6 months to see how things work out.
Nevertheless I feel uplifted at having this new chapter in life unfolding. Maybe it is all happening a bit sooner than I had planned for - but you have to grab opportunities when they come along.
Jo and I enjoyed a long chat whilst in the shop over pots of tea and some cake (mine was gluten free). Yes, there is a small tea room doing light lunches within the shop. I hope it stays, but the person running it just now is moving on, but I gather somebody else has shown interest in taking it over. If it has to close then more spaces for trading would be available.
We also wandered amongst the charity shops of Dorking. I phoned Bill from one of them to ask his opinion of 2 old cameras - and I bought them. That's good, because he had no interesting collectable cameras left and he needs to show the whole range of what he does when we move into those cabinets.
Bill also spent some time sorting things out this afternoon for the shop. I think I detected the same feeling of uplift that I have - as well as horror at having to construct yet more shelving and just fitting into a new routine and a new way of doing things.
This evening we had enforced rest because Bill's brother, Michael came round with a disc of his wedding photos, so we spent a while sharing pictures and then had a cup of tea.
I must get on again with everything tomorrow because I would like to have a car load ready to do a car boot sale on Sunday.
So, today has been fun and I am glad to have set a new challenge into place.
Goodnight.