Thursday, June 19, 2008

 

19th June. Pilgrims, shopping and timing.

The first thing to say about today is that it was preceded by a much better night's sleep - thank goodness. I awoke a couple of times but was able to sleep again quite quickly.
And the day itself has been pleasant mostly - but busy.

At first we were dealing with paperwork at home. I was busy with EBay and Bill sorting out house insurance.
Then he had to deal with a letter from Flintshire County Council (where the car accident occurred) to advise us that we might be liable to pay for the services of the fire brigade who attended to clean up the road at the site.
Oh no we won't!

Then we we had to post some parcels.
And finally we were off through the lanes to Dorking - passing so many landmarks in Bill's family history on both sides of the family.
The sun was shining and the world felt good.

I took Bill into Pilgrims and showed him the little space that was available to us. There were 2 Pilgrim ladies in the shop today and we all introduced ourselves to each other.
And we talked - Hilary, who does lovely jewellery is a champion talker!
Bill and I looked at all sorts of possibilities for the little area between the 2 cabinets. We had a good look round and realised that some things are from our standpoint and even from a Rocking Horse standpoint rather overpriced.
But the shop was quite busy with customers - though I am not sure that much was actually sold whilst we were there.
The items that Bill and I sell will be a completely new venture for this shop and it make a take a while for word to get around that our sort of stuff is available, but I think we can do well enough.

We finally got away, feeling hungry. It was lunch time.
As we had the week's shopping to do sometime we went to Morrison's in Reigate.
We first had some dinner and then toured the aisles - spending a bit more than normal, but I think we have enough major items to last a week or so.

When we got home there was little time really for more than a cup of tea.
I had a few more EBay items finishing.
And I had to deal with an irate customer. This man had not read my item description properly and was not aware of the size of the book he had successfully bid for. He thought my postage charge was outrageous and wanted to retract his bid. He could have done this before the auction finished - but not after he had become the winning bidder. I have written to him explaining just why the postage charge was so high. Bill and I also worked out that if we just wrapped the book in brown paper and didn't use any padded envelope it could go at a very cheap rate. It is all so complicated now that both weight and size contribute to the postage charge. I have yet to hear from him again.
But he did make me feel upset. Botheration to the man!

Then we rushed off up the road to the track. I was chief time keeper and it has been very pleasant - apart from the first race! I acknowledged the starter and looked down at my watch and saw nothing. The figures had all disappeared - the batteries were dead. I felt completely flustered and sounded like I didn't know what I was doing as I recorded the times for all the runners - which the other timekeepers could give me. Fortunately Marilyn was working with me and had the time of the winner for me. After that it just became a fun evening with lots of friendly banter amongst the concentration of getting the times correct.

Now we are home again - I should hope so too, for it is a quarter to eleven! We must get up to bed very soon. I didn't take an antihistamine earlier today and I am sure it was that the contributed to my good night's sleep. let's hope I can sleep well without the tablet tonight.

I will end with a picture of our area in the shop. At the moment it is Jo's area of course.
After much debating we have come to the conclusion that buying a shelf unit would be as cheap (and very much more hassle free) as buying wood and having Bill construct something.
Bill has been on line and see that IKEA have just what we want, so we will go towards the end of next week.
Now all we have to do is remember what it was some time ago that we thought we wanted from IKEA.


You can see the 2 cabinets that we can use with a little space in between. On the right is the shop window with a busy pavement outside. Our stuff will be seen well by window shoppers. In front you can see the back of a chair which is at the desk that that the people on duty use.
Jo has done well from this little space and would have kept it if she hadn't got the interest in small furniture and she is happy to get a bigger space.