Sunday, May 25, 2008

 

25th May. Sunday bothers and Saturday fun

It has been a strange sort of Sunday - but first a look back to yesterday.
Ruth came round with Felix and we sat in the garden, where it was sunny and very breezy, but not cold.
Felix enjoyed playing with a bowl full of water and had a drink as did the rest of us.






The weather forecast for today suggested that the winds would ease but there would be heavy rain in the South of England.
The weather warnings were sufficiently bad for Roger and Sue to change their camping plans. Instead of heading for Dorset and the south coast they turned north and were intending to camp in Shropshire.
The rains also headed north and Shropshire has probably received a lot of rain today, whereas in the extreme south it has been almost entirely dry.
But we had had it in our heads that going to a car boot sale today would be off the agenda because of the weather. Despite the change of fortunes I felt so tired that I decided it would be best to stay at home.
We got a number of things at home a bit more organised and Bill got these good shots (below) of the cheeky squirrel in the garden.
How can something so cute be considered as vermin?




This afternoon we both went to Rocking Horse for the very last Sunday afternoon.
It was busy and there was much to do.
I packed up some things that I would like to sell on EBay maybe and then added signs to my original BARGAIN SALE signs to say that all my stuff could sell for half price during this final week.
I hardly had a chance to make use of the garden chair that I had carried in from the car - and that chair may well have a lot to answer for.
I have found once before that carrying anything of weight against the stoma bag is not a good idea.
But I was absorbed with activities and people and felt good - too engrossed to notice what was happening.
Yes - I had been leaking for a long time and my clothes were very wet.
This was the first time that such a thing has happened to me away from home.
I carry a spare bag and tissues and also a towel and spare clothes everywhere I go just for this sort of bother.
The trouble is that I didn't actually cope well in the tiny loo cubby hole in the shop and I found that the new bag was failing almost immediately.
There was nothing for it, we would have to leave. Fortunately Margaret was in the shop and was prepared to stay until closing instead of Bill.
At home Bill helped me to get everything right.
This has led me to do much thinking and I realise I must make myself be more self aware - or at least more stoma bag aware.
I must think before carrying things and if need be ask somebody else to carry things. Bill had offered of course to carry the chair - but no, I had to be independent!
And I just can't imagine how I didn't realise for a couple of hours that I was getting increasingly wet.
My enthusiasms just mustn't get in the way of my bodily functions!
And I think I need to practise at home the art of changing the bag alone and in difficult conditions until I am more confident of getting it right.
It is evening now - and tomorrow is yet another holiday; a day with more car boot sales arranged and yet again the weather forecast is for much rain.
If it seems to be dry in the morning then we will get up early and go out.
Bill is watching a recording of the Monaco Grand Prix right now - I know who won already.
As soon as it has finished we will record Walk the Line, the film based on the life and music of Johnny Cash. I don't think I am up to staying up to midnight tonight; we will watch it at a time that suits us.
Goodnight.