Monday, March 10, 2008

 

10th March The storm or The Tropics?

Today we have witnessed wild winds, torrential rain, hail, thunder, lightning and occasional patches of blue sky.

Of course we have watched in wonder from the house, apart from a quick trip to the post office and chemist, for more cough medicine this afternoon.

Now we are catching up with the evening news and seeing what a pounding a great deal of Southern England has experienced. There has been some damage, some flooding, seas battering homes close to the coast and some feelings of terror amongst the people.


These pictures were taken from the BBC website.
The one on the left was taken in Sussex. In the middle we see Pembrokeshire, South Wales and on the right is a view of Lyme Regis, Dorset.

The stormy conditions will prevail a little longer, but weakening each day.
It has hardly been a major catastrophe for the majority.

But I think you might realise just why I yearn for the warmth of a tropical beach when I share with you the photos that Jamie skyped to us this morning.



I wish I could tell you that these children inhabit a world without colds and bugs. Jamie has been feeling a bit sorry for himself with a cold, just as we have been feeling.
He said he would be picking up some more Tiffy tablets on his way home from work - and we have a box that I brought back with me last year. They are paracetamol with a decongestant that doesn't make us feel horrible, like Sudafed do.
This afternoon I posted off the first 2 Good Companions jigsaws that I had prepared for sale. One was of Dover Harbour (closed for a while today because of the weather of course).
I used to sell many of them at toy fairs and for more money than I made today.
But, whatever I sell them for I must make an effort to reduce the numbers in the garage. Blast Furnaces can go on with the next lot.
I think Bill and I may feel a bit more human today, but as evening comes we feel so tired of coughing and nose blowing. The bug forced me to delay my dental treatment a little longer - it should have been this morning, but there was no way I could have coped with that.
Tomorrow will be a shop day (only 12 more Tuesdays after tomorrow).
I can assume that there were almost no sales today - who would want to be out antiques buying on a day like this has been?