Monday, March 03, 2008

 

3rd March Awaiting the baby Monk.

It was 39 years ago tonight that I waited expectantly for the birth of our first child.
I didn't have to wait very long.
I look back to a time of a very different world to that of 2008.

Firstly we didn't have a phone in the flat where we lived - and mobile phones had not been thought of. Bill had to go out to the local phone box in the wee small hours to inform the midwife of iminent action.

I had agreed to go to the hospital for the birth - but only for 2 days. This would seem normal today, but in those days mothers would stay in hospital for up to 2 weeks with their new babies. The babes were not by the mother's bed, but in a nursery. I didn't want that - a rebel, even then.

Jamie was born early on a Tuesday morning.....
Who would have thought then that he would become a Monk in Thailand!
In those days we knew Thailand as Siam of course.



My little baby Monk!

Today I have talked with Jamie - free of charge of course, using Skype. He is not one for making a fuss about birthdays and there will be little special about tomorrow.
He tried to give me some advice about arranging text and pictures on a blog.
He never has the problems that I get with the layout not ending up as I planned it.

I have been busy today again with EBay. I happily sold a number of books that had been listed for at least the second time.
We took 10 parcels to the post office this afternoon.
There are 5 more ready for tomorrow.

As I am experimenting with pictures and text, I will include another picture.
Regular readers will know that I have begun to tackle the pile of jigsaws stored in the garage in hope of being able to sell them.
There are watchers on the 2 I have listed so far - let's hope there are bidders by next Monday.
The picture I will include shows the jigsaw that gave me lots of trouble last week - Blast Furnaces.


This series was sold by Woolworths in the 1950's. They are card puzzles and most of them show interesting scenes of that time.
Many show transport scenes and others include street scenes or activities, showing people in 1950's fashions.
So they are entertaining and nostalgic.

Right - now to see that text has wrapped itself round the pictures - just like before. When I go to edit a layout that has gone wrong all seems to be well - and then it appears once again just like it was before editing.
No doubt I have a setting wrong somewhere.
If Jamie has time maybe he can tinker with things for me.

PS - I have just checked - and things look much better than on other evenings lately.