Wednesday, February 27, 2008

 

27 February Did the earth move for you?

I woke several times during the night (as ever) but I can't say that I noticed being disturbed by an earthquake at one o'clock.
People south of us claim to have felt the earth move but here in monkland the main news event of the day passed unnoticed.
Ashley felt it way over in west Wales.
After my disturbed night I awoke as tired as normal - and my gut has continued to cramp up during the day.
This morning I did very little. Bill got busy with the vacuum cleaner and I felt I should do something and cleaned the surfaces round the computer. The new thick table cloth (bought at the Horley boot sale for £1) is now covering the dining room table - rarely used for eating at, but more likely covered with parcels and cats gazing out of the window.
After a quick cooked lunch we decided to be sociable. I have arranged a visit to see Marion next week and this afternoon we went to Godstone to see Bill's cousin Ann.
We were both in hospital for cancer surgery at about the same time. We had a lot to share. Ann will be 80 this year and Gordon is older, barely mobile and losing his sight. Ann came home from hospital unable to do anything at all and with very little help in place - and what was available was all for Gordon. She also needed extra care put in place for herself.
Now, 3 months later, bless them, they are both doing their best to keep going. But Ann has had to devise a life style which will allow her to do enough for the pair of them - but not too much.
Illness does that - forces one to change and accept that doing one's best each day is the most one can hope for. And sometimes one's best feels to be not quite good enough.
And that has basically been the day.
The evening sky looked lovely as we drove home - it is staying light for much longer now as Spring approaches.