Sunday, February 17, 2008

 

17th February A treat in Lewes.

Today we got up at half past six and peered through the curtains at a cold world. The thermometer in the lounge told us that the temperature in the sheltered garden was minus 6.2 Degrees C.

But it was a lovely morning to drive through the countyside with the rising sun creating a lovely light on the winter trees and South Downs.
The sun was so low that driving eastwards felt quite hazardous with this huge bright orange ball glaring directly into our eyes.

Today we headed south (and then east from Brighton) and discovered what were the delights of the car boot sale by the river at Lewes. To be honest there was little there for us and too many stalls selling new things, so more like a market than a true car boot sale.

There was a man selling books at 40p each or 5 for a pound and it was quite a struggle to find 5 that might be worth having.
I actually bought a couple of things that will go in the shop - and hopefully sell.
Joy and Peter were there and she had decided against the blue enamel pitcher, but I like it anyway, so will find a home for it if nobody else wants it.

It was still only about half past eight when we went for a short walk. The pictures will appear at the end of the writing. It is hard to imagine that Lewes once seemed to me to be a wondrous town, far from home and the focus of some of our camping holiday expeditions. And yet this morning this seemingly remote town on the SouthDowns was reached in half an hour.

We walked over the bridge taking us over the River Ouse and walked down Cliffe High Street. There were few people about and no Greasy Joe's Cafe.
At that point it is not possible to walk alongside the river, but we enjoyed the views of the buildings and reflections.

Then we wandered back and decided that we would enjoy a hot drink in Costa Coffee - naturally enough nicknamed Costa Lotta by us.
But it was well worth the price. We sat on easy chairs by the window to watch the town start to wake up.
The cafe was quite crowded with folks enjoying something for breakfast and lots of people came in to buy a take away coffee and a bite to eat - mostly from the car boot sale I would guess.

At the table next to us was a lone man. I had spotted him as he appeared from a side street - he stood out from everybody else. People were mostly wrapped up in coats and hats and scarves to protect against the frosty air.
The man was wearing shorts! And flip flops with no socks! He settled down with a large latte coffee and got his book out. I never could catch a glimpse of the title - but he was quite Bohemian and arty I would think. I loved his sort of batik style cotton scarf worn with his linen shirt.
We had not intended to have anything to eat - after all what would I find in a Costa Coffee suitable for me?
But - I did spot something a gluten free rasberry and almond shortcake. It was delicious, a bit like a Bakewell tart in taste. Bill had a chocolate pastry twist.

This little treat has set me up well for the day.
It has been a day of work. Bill went off to the shop for the afternoon.
I described 6 items which will be listed tomorrow.
This morning I was chatting with Jamie, who often contacts during the last half hour before going home from work.
It doesn't sound much - but what with washing up, food preparation, dealing with payments etc I have been busy for most of the day.
I did spend a while browsing at clothes on EBay. Recently I have made the mistake of buying things in what was my size, and I suppose could be again one day.
But for now they are definitely too big. I think during the week I might go to Marks and Spencers and try on some clothes to see what size actually works for me. Have I gone down one size or two? Meanwhile I have some good quality M&S trousers size 18 Long which are of no use to me. I didn't pay too much for them on EBay.
Sunday evening is another TV evening - the ice skating and in a short while Larkrise to Candleford.

Now for a brief Lewes photograph album......











Reflections of riverside buildings and a boat.

I am sure the building on the left might once have been connected with shipbuilding which took place in Lewes - sailing barges and such like.
It stands alongside the river. Opposite is the Harvey's Brewery shop and cottages.






A view looking beyond the lovely well kept cottages to the brewery itself.









Now we are sitting, warm, in Costa Coffee.
Bill liked the heart shaped chocolate on his cappucino.










I just enjoyed 2 large cups of tea.