Thursday, February 14, 2008

 

14th February Valentine's Day.

I have to admit that Grandma P is feeling rather depressed.
This can happen quite often at this time of year and during the last months there has been a lot to come to terms with.
It is all making me feel that I want to stay snug in my nest - and today even the nest felt chilly.
My digestion has settled a bit (I hope). I took Immodium in the night - but it didn't prevent further "action". I am sure it will settle again soon.
But other aspects of my health will never go away - the bag and the diet are my ways to survive. Feeling down I am experiencing some resentment.
I just looked at a Wetherspoon's menu - there are perhaps 2 meals (full dinners) that I could eat. Bother! It's not fair!


I do keep hanging on to the notion that I am lucky to be in the position I am in. The inconvenience and restrictions are a necessary part of life which could have been denied to me without the input of the doctors.
But the fact of being lucky - doesn't actually make me feel happy about it at the moment.


And yes - it felt really chilly today. The sunshine and blue skies have gone and the East wind brings the cold.

Poor birdies - today is their wedding day, as the old country custom is.
But having watched them from the window I am sure that they may have advanced the happy day.


I come from a family - (no, don't blame them) who really feel quite upset by the way St. Valentine's Day has become a focus for spending and profit making.

In my youth I liked to think I was part of the "normal" world and so cards seemed to be important - but in the late 1950's people didn't have the money to spend on more and more extravagent gifts, like seems to be the norm these days.
It makes it feel like a sad day.


I think we have passed on these inherited notion to our own boys.
And this evening, because I feel idle and tired, I am about to copy and paste something Jamie wrote today on his Monk in Thailand blog.

I haven't publicised this blog yet because I wasn't sure how it would develop; but it truly can be quite whimsical at times.

Quite recently it had me laughing out loud as he posted some fantastic translations of instructions and advertising from Thai into English.


Today he has written about Valentine's Day.


As I understand it, Valentines Day is an old festival, dating back nearly 2000 years but was not originally anything to do with romantic love.

It was reborn in the modern age as another great way of making people spend money and making them feel guilty if they don't.

Cards, flowers, gifts, holy cow we just had Christmas and now we have to spend more?

Thailand goes Valentine crazy. Hearts and flowers everywhere. Another good excuse for a party, to eat out, to drink whisky ... oh and to show someone that you care.

Today we closed our shop early to be with loved ones. My wife was shocked to see me home so early! We have been out for dinner at Laem Hin Seafood, had a nice evening.





















Jessica made a us heart at school. Lovely. That's what it's about. None of this be my Valentine rubbish, or "I love you and to prove it I have spent lots of money on flowers". Family. Love them. Cherish them.

http://monkinthailand.blogspot.com/

So I started with low spirits and grew to remember as I wrote what the real meaning of life is all about. Bless you Thailand Monks!

Goodnight.

PS I did like the Google addition to their page today - a real old Derby and Joan couple celebrating Valentine's Day.