Tuesday, February 05, 2008

 

05 February. Hospital, cafe and shop.

There have been a number of different activities today.

My first appointment was at the hospital, where we were seen within minutes of the appointment time. I was a little disappointed not to be seen by Mr Swinn - if nothing else I think he would have ben pleased to see how well I look now.
But Dr Mohammed seemed really delighted anyway - his smile when he saw me in the waiting room said it all.
Of course from a urology standpoint I have become a routine patient and all is well.
I had been a bit concerned that I would need to remove the wee bag to be examined - which would require urgent instant attention with a new bag. Without a bag in place wee trickles or flows constantly down legs to the floor. But Dr M could see the stoma through the bag and was sure that all is well, which I could confirm.
They will advise a CT scan at some point, but it doesn't seem to be necessary yet. The team will want to be sure that no cancer cells escaped to invade some other part of me.
We looked at the figures on the computer screen. Potassium levels were just a bit lower than 10 days ago. Even one of the other levels which is up - and I still forget which it is - has come down a bit.
I had to go and have another blood test. The blood taken to check Alderostone levels has to be stored carefully and quickly and then transferred to the laboratory in London. It seems that last week's blood was too old by the time it reached its destination. I guess it was a mistake to have had it done at Crawley because the blood has to be taken to East Surrey anyway. It only took 2 hours to get to the ESH lab - but that was too long. Today it was taken by hand straight to the lab.
I have another appointment with the urology team in 4 months.

And then we went for an early lunch in the cafe run by the Portugese lady. It is the sort of place that does a lot of quick snack meals - lots of sandwiches, baguettes, paninis etc with a whole range of interesting fillings. There are also jacket potatoes (oh how I would like one!).
I asked if she could do me the sausage, bacon and egg that can be had in a baguette, on a plate with a knife and fork and not have the bread. This she was happy to do.
It was very good - 2 sausages, 2 rashers of bacon and fried egg for £2. Bill paid 50p more and had his in the baguette.

We were home for a short time - just a few minutes to join the lunchtime boggling and then we were off to the shop - picking up some eggs at the farm on the way.

This was my first time in the shop since October and I looked forward to a quiet afternoon - but, despite the foul weather, customers chose to keep me busy.
I wonder just what vibes I have sent out into the world because this afternoon there were people in that I knew who I had not seen for a long time.
Thelma came in - she lives a way up the road past Wakehurst Place. I am not sure how it happened that we became bosom friends or indeed if we really are. But she is very kind and caring and I appreciate being cared about.
I also had a man in who had arranged to sell me things. If I had just known who he was I would have told him over the phone last week that I was not interested.
He somehow manages to get his claws into you - pushing and pushing about the quality of his items. In the end I paid him too much for just 3 things.
But still we couldn't get rid of him - he wanted to browse in the shop and to keep on talking and he is so boring!

I took parcels to the post office and of course young Graham was pleased to see me again. Young Graham is now about 50 years old - but I have memories of him in my class as a 10 year old.

Joy and Peter came in about an hour before closing time. Both Bill and I have been grateful that they have mostly been able to do this.
I know that last summer when I arranged to give up one of my areas I offered to continue doing the whole day on Tuesdays, although in theory I am now actually committed to only half a day. I didn't know then how life would turn out for me and that doing a whole day might prove to be difficult for one or both of us at times.
But never mind it won't be a problem for too much longer.

So we got away early and drove home whilst it was still light. The rain had stopped and a huge watery yellow sun was sinking down behind the winter trees with the South Downs in the distance. It is raining hard again now though.

I am tired tonight - of course. Dee rang earlier and thought my voice sounded weak. My explanation is that I had spent the afternoon talking!

Right - I have written enough now and I shall go and watch Masterchef. Goodnight.