Wednesday, January 30, 2008

 

30 Jan. Bread is for the birds - not me.

Well, that's it then - a decision to limit my diet even more.

After several days of gut pain, bloating and wind I have had enough. The wind is embarrasing enough of course but the pain is not tolerable and leaves me doubled up and with back ache.

So, I guess I must return to a mainly gluten free diet.

During the first days on the low potassium diet I decided that with so many limitations (I was already dairy free of course) I would include bread and other wheat products.

At first I didn't notice much of a problem, but it has got worse and worse. It is possible that a small amount very occasionally will do me little harm.

And as I had some good quality sausages out of the freezer for tonight's meal I included one with my rice.

Yes - it looks like rice will be my daily staple food - just as in Thailand. It is a bit dull on its own - and finding allowable, tasty accompaniments can be quite difficult. I have to admit that the supermarkets sell packets of rice with interesting flavours and additions.
Tonight I had a special egg fried rice, carefully picking out the peas and sweetcorn.

I just have to be sensible. I don't like illness and I don't like pain - and I can see ways of avoiding these two and I am determined to make it work.


There will have to be a trip to the supermarket, maybe tomorrow. Tescos have quite a good range of gluten free items - pasta, breads, biscuits and a super sticky ginger cake.


There has been time spent out today. I posted parcels to eBay customers - including the one to our good friend Peter Masters, who confirmed that the book he bid for was really wanted. He will pay me some time - but only for the postage and the original cost of the book. I really cannot make profits out of family and friends - I am just not that sort of dealer.


In fact it feels more important to sell things in the shop for very little profit right now, rather than hang on to them. I sold a doll today which I had paid £40 for because I loved it so much. Jo rang me to say that the customer offered £50, and I accepted. I had hoped for more of course - but decided to let it go.

















This afternoon Bill and I sat alongside each other and had needles inserted into our arms.
They needed more of my blood than Bill's, but the expert "vampire" was able to find it successfully.
So, at least I had a little walk - from where we parked the car in Ifield Road and into the hospital. The skies were blue - but the wind was chilly.

I do hope I feel better soon - no gut pain please. It has been hard to find much oomph. Bill actually feels like that too - his blood pressure is still too high. It is normally about 155 over 95. I suspect that the next time he sees the doctor he will be put on a higher dose medication.
My blood pressure remains low - normally about 95 over 65.

I need an early night - we both do. Last night was unfortunately disturbed by a sodden bed. Mustn't grumble - it was the first bag problem for just over 3 weeks.

So, goodnight to my dear readers - no I am not turning into Jane Austen!
By the way - nice to be able to add friend Mo to the collection of Blogs that I keep up with.