Monday, January 21, 2008

 

21st January Medical things and ramblings.

I think it is time I provided some sort of update on our health issues.

Me - Grandma P is doing pretty well. Despite the low potassium restrictive diet I have put a little weight back on during the last 2 weeks. Well, those that know me well will realise that I am a dab hand at finding ways and means to nibble!

I can remember so well my Grandad Frost commenting with half a smile when I was a child - "Are you putting something into your mouth again?"

That would have been at Christmas time when goodies were more freely available.


















Ah! So many memories! This was in 1954 when I was 10 years old. I was very proud of the silver dancing shoes that were bought for me when I joined Mrs Hobden's Old Time Dancing class.

Then there are the shelf units on the wall - carefully constructed by my Dad to carry the huge old radio and the aquarium. The chairs and table were basic and had repairs and modifications by Dad.

Dad even created a mad hairbrained scheme for taking a photo which included him - there was no gadget as we have nowadays. He tied the shutter with a long piece of cotton and then set fire to the loose end of it and we would watch it burn up towards the camera on the tripod until it burnt through the knot holding the shutter lever.

We played card games a lot. I wonder when that picture card on the floor by Granny's foot was actually missed! I am sure she hadn't deposited it away for use when faced with losing.


Good gracious - I didn't realise my ramblings would take me back to a childhood Christmas when I started out.


But I do recall the urge to put things in my mouth. I have such a craving for some tasty crisps tonight (potato chips for those that prefer that term). They are off limits and I am getting bored with my snacks.


Bill has declined crisps too tonight - for he should keep clear of fat in foods. Some weight must certainly be lost.

But there has been a change for Bill - the medication was designed to give him a quick fix and they have already helped. His blood pressure has dropped down to much more like that which it should be.


Our medical tests are in place. The district nurse came this morning to take blood from me - enough to fill 3 phials. I guess I will be expected to go to the local hospital for blood tests in future and they may be needed only monthly. Hopefully we could get mine and Bill's done on the same day in future. Bill must wait until a week on Thursday for his ECG test.


The day has generally been like most others. I tend to be a bit too idle sometimes. I listed 7 more items on EBay - I would like to see more bidders now. I have worked hard on lists in my stock file - though I didn't get as much done as I had planned because our neighbour Rose came round. She is quite elderly, but such a contrast to Frieda. Rose is confident and busy and we often find that we can take advice from her about things.


I really must start going out - the weather seems to be enough to put me off. But I fear that the habit of not bothering to go anywhere has taken hold and it will take mental effort to overcome it.


I have been reading our nephew Stephen's blog. He has been a very over worked young man working for a pharmaceutical company in Switzerland. He at one time hoped maybe he could make the big time in the world of cycling and he trained really hard. He is still a very fit young 35 year old - well, he was. He had a heart attack just after Christmas. He has been in intensive care and in a rehab centre for some time.
http://angloswisselms.blogspot.com/
I put the address here for those who know Stephen but may not know of the blog.