Saturday, January 12, 2008

 

12 Jan John's birthday and cooking food.

It was happy birthday to our Grandson, John yesterday. He is now 3 years old.
So, after breakfast the first task (very pleasant) was to phone Thailand. Thank goodness for the wonders of Skype! We had to phone Jamie's mobile because their land line is not working and yet the 9 minute phone call cost only 60p.
The late afternoon (they are 7 hours ahead of us) saw the start of John's birthday party. If you saw a blog posting last July, after Jessica's party, you might recall Jamie saying "Never again"! This was not never to a party, of course, but never again should they have over 60 guests for one occasion. Well it happened again today! But a party in Thailand involves people bringing and preparing food and working together.

We dragged a very excited John away from the excitement of so many people, Mam's family, adult friends and lots of children. Mostly I heard the words "I got....". I did hear about the big football and the big sword.


OK - this is a photo from last August.
I am sure there will be some birthday snap shots soon.



Then we left them to it for a crazy evening in the garden - thank goodness they now own a much bigger garden.

After that Bill went out for a couple of hours. He took the sack of rejected food items to the dump. How I hate wasting food, but honestly it had got to the point where is was not usable.
He then went to see his Aunty Joyce.

Whilst he was out I peeled potatoes and sorted some carrots and cauliflower to have with the small piece of beef we bought yesterday. At the moment I don't want large items of meat because I haven't yet sorted out how best to deal with left overs on this diet. Gone are the days of stir frying some onion, mushroom and peppers as a basis of a casserole which would last for 2 days.










But I felt proud to have everything ready to cook.

This afternon I did rather less. I watched some big cross country races, staged in Edinburgh. My - it looked cold in Scotland.
Together we sorted out the cooking and serving of the beef and vegetables and enjoyed a much smaller roast dinner than normal whilst watching the new Saturday evening talent competition. Next week it will clash with the ice skating competition and I think we might prefer that.
Grandpa's blood pressure was high again first thing this morning (horribly so), but down after lunch. Maybe sitting round at Aunty Joyce's had been good for him. I guess I should try not to worry him too much about high blood pressure and in the end it must be his decision as to whether he chooses to follow a diet properly. He did it once before when his cholesterol levels were raised. I just hope Dr Armstrong can make him realise that it is very important.
There was a beautiful sun rise this morning - but sadly it is now raining again.