Thursday, January 10, 2008

 

10th Jan. Medical matters again.

Medical matters..........
Well, you didn't think medical matters would ever be too far away from the thoughts of Grandma P and dear Grandpa B.
This morning I was surprised by a visit from the district nurse. It seems that the G.P. has now caught up with my situation as it was when I was discharged from hospital on Christmas Day. The instructions to the district nurse were that I should have weekly blood tests.
Of course the local doctor has not yet had the news that I have been back in hospital since then.
Anyway the good news is that the nurse was able to get blood from my arm with no bother - first attempt.
Before that Grandpa had taken a bus trip into town. He had a medical item on his shopping list.
I hadn't realised that he also was looking at clothes - Primark style clothes. He came home with a pair of trousers, 2 T shirts and a fleecy body warmer for the princely sum of £13. Of course we do feel a bit uneasy that these clothes can be sold to us so cheaply, for we know that third world folk are paid a pittance to make them.
The medical item seemed to be for me - but I think it might be of even more benefit to Grandpa. I wanted a blood pressure monitoring kit just to reassure myself that all is OK, even though my blood pressure is quite low. And I will feel somewhat happier to know just what it drops to, when it does.
One might have some doubts about a home monitoring kit but I was sure when we did mine that it was accurate - a reading over 102 over 79 would have been about normal most times in hospital.
Then of course we measured Bill's blood pressure. Immediately I was concerned, for it was high - much too high. His score was 166 over 98. I want him to see the GP as soon as possible, though it might be wise to arm himself with a pattern of readings for a few days before he is seen. Of course Bill has been under a lot of stress and is very tired, but there is no denying that he is carrying too much excess weight now. I can see both of us on special diets before long.
Tonight, after far too many days of a hacking cough, I have agreed with Bill that some cough medicine might help. It won't cure it but I badly need some relief. I have been coughing since I came out of hospital on Christmas Day. When I went back in I was taken in my bed for a chest X Ray on the first night just to be on the safe side. It can't be a serious infection for there was no talk of an antibiotic.
I started the day with a shower and hair wash even before the early morning cup of tea in bed. I felt that it is all too easy to leave things undone if they are not done at the earliest opportunity. Just now I am so tired all day - especially after some bad nights.
I am pleased to say that I actually filled in the account book of all income and outgoings since the end of October. Tomorrow I shall start crossing off things sold in my stock file.
This afternoon we watched another thriller (British) set in the 1950's.
I shall be in bed by 9 o'clock and will try to stay awake to watch the new drama Echo Beach. It is not often I can claim to know an actress on TV. Gwynneth dabbles a bit in interesting antiques and for a while she was in Rocking Horse. I never knew her well, but Jo and she grew rather close by working together. For those that remember things like that you might recall Gwynneth as Mrs McCluskey, the head mistress, in Grange Hill.
We had nasty rain this afternoon - but nothing like Ashley has had. There has been flooding in North Wales.
OK time to find the cough medicine and the spoon and think about snuggling down for the night.