Tuesday, January 08, 2008

 

8th January. First day home.

Well then! - Grandma P here.
I can almost hear the groans from those of you who will miss Grandpa B's inimitable style.
Today leaves me feeling tired - but not unwell. Hooray!
Because Grandpa had to be in the shop today I worked hard to be washed and dressed in time to have breakfast with him at half past eight. That alone was an achievement. And today there have been no ill effects - yesterday, in hospital, I had one of my turns, leading to a morning on the bed, frequent monitoring of blood pressure and another ECG. My blood pressure is low (never more than hovering at about 100 over about 60, for those that understand these things) and it has a tendency to drop and leave me feeling dizzy and weak.
I have to admit for most of today I have been sitting - combining talking, watching TV and dozing. Grandma P is far from ready to deal with housework.
This morning I had 3 phone calls in quick succession and then Dee came round. What a treat to spend a couple of hours with such a special friend who I see far too infrequently - she lives in a renovated old school in the middle of nowhere in the South of France. Some time this year we will be there I hope.
I watched Doctor at Large on TV after my lunch. Its years since I saw any of that series of amusing films.
Some time soon we will scan a page of one of my diet sheets to explain to those interested what will be involved. Dr Foster seemed to suggest that this diet must be viewed as a long term measure, with maybe some relaxation later on.
I keep thinking of problems and yet more things that must be avoided. For example I love houmous spread on my rice cakes (with mango chutney). Houmous is made from chick peas; pulses, beans and legumes are restricted - oh, and mangoes are out too!
The only medication I am on is sodium bicarbonate (600gr 3 times a day) which controls the build up of potassium. In hospital I was given all sorts to bring the level down. Calcium whatever it is and hydrocortisol amongst others.
There is some debate about the causes of everything. Normally it would reflect poor kidney function, but the urologists are sure that my kidneys are fine. Dr Foster tried to explain that it could be connected with the fact that what was a part of my small intestine has changed its role so that it is now carrying urine from the kidneys and that, unusually, my body has not coped well with it.
The causes are their problem - my job is to learn to live with the consequences.
The dietician phoned me this afternoon to see how I was feeling about things.
I don't feel too negative really. When I am stronger I shall have to clear cupboards of all things that are out for me.
Basically this diet is one where I should forget much that I thought I knew about healthy fruits and veg - broccoli is off limits now and much more in the fruit and veg line. And permitted veg must be boiled to within an inch of its life! No more stir fries!
If it leads to some degree of normality for both of us I shall be satisfied.
This is disjointed and bitty - but then I am tired and emotional. Good grief! I even found myself shedding a few tears over something just now on TV only to find it was an advert!
I really do hope that gradually I shall find myself giving time to Emails, EBay and visiting the countryside again.
But I have a fear, of course, that this is a temporary lull before yet another flare up.
Night all!