Sunday, January 13, 2008

 

13 Jan Out with the old and on to a new year with hope.

It has been another grey and drizzly day.

This morning I chatted a while with Jamie - in the office. He sent me some photos from Christmas and a couple from the party yesterday evening.
The first picture shows John trying to cut the cake with Mam's help and Jessica looking on.
Almost all the food is well cooked at home but celebration cakes are bought from the cake shop - after all it is difficult to make cakes without an oven.
I tend to agree with John's suspicious look as he tries out the slice of thick cream (well sort of cream). He didn't think it was worth all the effort.
Don't forget that you can enlarge the images by clicking onto the picture.
Then our minds turned to food once again - the sorting of food cupboards that is.
We have looked through everything now and amazingly we have clean and tidy cupboards and things don't fall out when the doors are opened.
The only thing to sort now is the freezer. This is harder because it is less likely that we can give things away. Perhaps we can set aside the bottom shelf for a while for unwanted items.
Tomorrow Bill will have another trip to the rubbish tip with another couple of black plastic bin liners.
We had a late lunch - some soup just a couple of months past its sell by date. It seemed an interesting choice at the time - sauerkraut and turkey. It was actually quite nice though the pickled cabbage did seem a bit acid and salty.
Then we relaxed - travelled back in time to New Years Eve and watched Jools Holland's Hootenanny show. The acts are always varied and perform very well live.
Then we sorted out food for our main meal - cold roast beef with a very few left over potatoes (normally they would have been eaten up as seconds on the day of cooking them). I boosted this with a little pasta and cabbage. The chilli and garlic sauce was quite hot - but contained nothing forbidden and I liked it; Bill was less sure.
This evening I watched the first part of Lark Rise to Candleford, I am not sure why I have never read it. I think Mum liked it and normally I respected her choice of literature. Anyway it was well done, with lovely 19th century rural scenery and people - the poverty in the hamlet contrasting with the affluence to be found in the town.
And now I shall finish my cup of tea. I am glad that my habit is for weak black tea, for if I had always drunk my tea strong and well brewed I would now have to cut down the amount.
Then it will be off to bed. I still get so very tired. But I am happy that I have not felt ill for a few days now and am beginning to have hope that some normality is really returning to my life.