Thursday, January 24, 2008

 

24 Jan Hospitals, EBay, dishes, sunshine.

Today has been an EBay day for me. The first items to sell since the middle of October finished and I was dealing with them this afternoon.
By chance today was also a half price listing day and so I got busy adding a lot more items to the list for sale.
And then I browsed.

I found a postcard that interested me and reminded me that the Christmas just gone was, in fact, the third time I had been in a hospital on Christmas Day.
I was only there for a few hours in Buckland Ward last Christmas.
But in 1992 I was in The Royal Marsden after over 3 months of hospital stay.
In 1948 I was in a hospital for only a short time.
It was The Kent and Sussex Hospital in Tunbridge Wells - and Dad was the patient, having his appendix removed.












Here is the postcard of the men's surgical ward. I am sure Dad was on the right hand side as you look down the ward.
What a contrast is this austere environment with uncomfortable looking beds to the bright yet cosy atmosphere to be found nowadays. There were just 6 of us in our bay in Buckland Ward and the beds, with electrical devices to raise and lower the head of the bed, were really lovely.













And here is Dad being visited by the Mayor of Tunbridge Wells.
Well, it was Christmas!
And I guess that because it was Christmas Day a very special favour was granted to allow the children of patients to visit.

Tomorrow I am off to the hospital once again to see Dr Foster - not for very long I assume.
I guess he will just advise to keep up the good work with the diet and maybe to have blood tests every month.

The appointment is early and we shall have to leave home before half past eight.
I have suggested that we have a cup of tea and a biscuit and then go to Morrison's in Reigate for a small cooked breakfast after the appointment. We might as well make a treat out of it!

Today turned out to be very pleasant indeed. There was bright sunshine for a while this afternoon.
But this morning, when we might have had a little time to go out for a while it was dull and drizzly.
I stayed home and sorted out 3 more sections of stock listings.

I think the satellite dish installers enjoyed the sunshine as they fixed the dish on the front of the house. The free-sat dishes are not nearly as obtrusive as some dishes.
So, I won't be minding too much about it, especially as the improvement in reception is a real bonus. Now we need some time to sort out where all the channels are - the ones we know we will watch, the ones we might watch and then there are the ones that I am sure we will never see.