Saturday, February 16, 2008

 

16th February. Quiet day and blogs v EMails.

Hello to family and friends blog readers.
Today has looked like a lovely day - bright sunshine again, but it started very chilly, or so I believe.
We didn't get up early and go to the Ford car boot sale.
I had felt really quite rough yesterday evening and the weariness and weakness seems to be a constant at the moment.
So Bill got up and brought me a cup of tea in bed.

I haven't been entirely idle. I have sold 11 books today - all wrapped and invoiced and ready to be posted when the money comes in.

And, at last, I decided to start working through the collectable jigsaw puzzles stored out in the garage - dozens of them.
The one I did today was complete and from a series that interests people, so I am hopeful that bids might roll in.

The puzzle had to be carried upstairs for a while this afternoon. Ruth came round with Felix and he might have thought that over 400 bits of coloured card would be a delight to chew or throw on the floor.

I have cooked the Saturday roast dinner - made some sort of attempt at eating much less than I might once have done. It was lovely anyway and there is a lot to be used tomorrow.

The old debate about the merits of blogs or EMails has surfaced yet again.
I suppose it is a bit pointless me explaining to family and friends who don't bother with blogs my reasons for preferring to communicate the blog way. Those people will not be part of the debate if it is in a blog will they?
And those that tell me that they regularly turn to the blog will realise that what I put on Grandma P's blog is just the same as I might have sent in an EMail.
In the past I used to construct an EMail, often with some pictures and then send it in a combined send to quite a number of people, which made me feel a bit guilty because it was like I was pretending to send a personal mail, when it was obvious that it was just a duplicated mail for any number of people.

I actually enjoy other people's blogs - not strangers, for I don't have time for that, although some quick looks have revealed all sorts of interesting things; but I turn every evening to the people who write fairly regularly and I enjoy their accounts of their lives and things that matter to them.
I confess I do look to see what the Phuket birdwatcher writes sometimes.
I also enjoy the EMails that come in too. Sometimes I make the mistake of opening up EMails at a moment when I don't have much time to read and enjoy them, like just before serving up the dinner. Then when I get back to the computer I sort of feel that I have read it and the moment is over.

Similar debates still continue about the merits of Emails and letters written by hand and posted - do you remember such things? We have a friend in Germany who does work on a computer all day and really doesn't want one at home and thinks that eMails are awful things - OK for a few lines for business purposes, but hardly suitable for family and friends.

So this is a question really for the people who are not reading this! Should I be sending a copy of my blog to you in an EMail?

Of course many people now do receive Emails of a personal nature when I get round to replying to ones they have sent to us. Well, OK - I confess, the core of such an Email can be very similar to that found in other replies.

Let me know what you think - just put a comment on the blog if you like.

Right the evening is slipping away. I shall see the results of the tribute singers competition and then go to bed. Will it be Frank Sinatra, Lionel Ritchie or Dusty Springfield who wins a 3 month contract in Las Vegas? I hope it is the singer who performs as Dusty, but somehow I doubt it.

I am not sure what we will do in the morning.
Of course I have the urge to be out and hunting. We have discussed the possibility of going to Lewes for a change and maybe we would find a friendly cafe for a bite to eat or at least a hot cup of tea.
Bill will be in the shop tomorrow afternoon. I reckon he has about 6 more Sunday afternoons of duties in the shop.

Goodnight all!