Saturday, February 23, 2008

 

23 February Saturday friendly contacts

The day has shown that we were wise not to attempt a trip down to Ford. We have both gradually become more and more tired. And the weather has not been very inviting - murky and a bit drizzly at times.

This morning we went over to the shop at Ardingly to arrange yet more stock on the shelves. I am not sure how we managed to fit any more in for the sales, for us, have been disappointing since last Tuesday. But it seemed worth doing to add more for the hoped for hordes of dealers who may, or may not, call in during the next few days, whilst the big antiques fair at the show ground is on.
Bill has some old Meccano that he hopes might attract their attention. And the clock he was tinkering with the other day is now chiming in the shop.

This afternoon Bill photographed and scanned the next box full of things to be described for EBay.
I caught up with some of the EMail replies.
I did a pile of vegetables for today's roast dinner and hopefully to accompany Tunbridge Wells sausages tomorrow with some mashed potato.

I had a surprise phone call this evening from a very old friend - no, I don't mean that Kay is very old. Kay is the same age as me from the same year at school.
Our conversation was about health and very soon we felt free enough to talk dirty - I mean talk about bodily excretions. We both have problems. Kay has multiple sclerosis - has had it for about 19 years now. One area that has seized up is in the urine department and she has to self catheterise - which feels like a real "ouch" to me. It was bad enough when Catherine, the nurse inserted one with the BCG when I was receiving that sort of treatment. Kay reckons for the last year things have got quite a bit worse with the MS, but sounds like a happy soul.
Bless her she would say to me that it is clear I have been to hell and back with my cancer episodes and I could only recall the thoughts of Mother when she had cancer. She felt she was better off than our Uncle Jack who had MS for she knew there would come a time when she didn't have to endure cancer. Poor Mother of course was eased with morphine through the last days of suffering, whilst I have somehow survived twice. Each time I got to a point where I didn't have to think about cancer anymore.
Though of course with such a short time having passed since the loss of the bladder, and hopefully all the cancer, there are moments when I wonder about it.
Kay and I had been quite close in school when aged about 12 - but slowly drifted apart, no doubt with boyfriends and other activities. She still lives close at hand and we will meet up soon.
So - thank you Stan (another from our school year) who keeps us all in touch.

Well, we hope to get up early tomorrow morning and go to both Dorking and Horley boot sales and hopefully find more for the EBay sales boxes.

I must check the rugby score in a moment - are England still beating France?
The Welsh continue to march on and thoroughly trounced the Italians this afternoon.

Hope you have had a good Saturday.