Thursday, February 21, 2008

 

21st February Busy with our hobbies today.

I suppose it may seem that both Bill and I spend a lot of time on what might look like working for very little financial reward.
But what might appear to be work doesn't feel like that to us - though sometimes there can be a lot to do for EBay.
We regard this hobby as something quite distinct from work. It gives us a chance to dabble in all sorts of things which have passed us by in the past.
The hobby costs us nothing - and should certainly make enough to pay for a trip to Thailand this time next year.
And how I dream of going to Thailand today - it was a year ago (on a Thursday) that I took off and headed eastwards for a very special holiday with the 4 J's.
Life has changed quite a bit since that day. I already knew I had cancer and there were times when I feared that bad times were ahead. But it seems that for now anyway the very worst scenario has passed me by once again.
Anyway, back to today - a cloudy and somewhat gloomy day in England; we have worked on our hobby. I described 10 things to list on Ebay, taking me to any number of places and exploring all sorts of artists. I have a near mint table tennis set sold on behalf of Eagle and Girl comics to encourage Junior players to practice and enter the Eagle Girl table tennis competition in the late 1950s.
This morning's work is now on EBay awaiting the bidders.
We also had a few things finishing. Bill sold 4 more model cars - that box full is selling very well.
I can look at the 3 books sold and with the 2 books on the nasty disease, lupus, I can feel glad that I found them and have passed them on really quite cheaply and maybe to somebody who has lupus or knows somebody closely who has just been diagnosed. My hobby may well have done somebody some good and I like that aspect as much as the profit.
One of the feedbacks this week sums that feeling up. I sold a book on Rocks and Pebbles. The buyer was pleased and commented that he received the book on Tuesday and the kids were on the beach on Wednesday. My hunting trip has led perhaps to the start of a whole new interest for some children.
Bill has been supporting me through dealing with the Ebay sales - wrapping his models very carefully.
He has also spent the day repairing the clock that he bought from somebody who came to the shop on Tuesday.
The pictures below show Bill the clock repairer.
The clock is all back together now, ticking and chiming. One day it will go to a new owner. Bill, meanwhile has had the satisfaction of playing with a clock.