Monday, February 11, 2013

 

Monday life.

The snow was falling thick and fast for  a while as we drove to Dorking.
That's always quite challenging. It is so easy for eyes to want to focus on the snow in front of the windscreen - instead of the road ahead.
On such a day we expected few people.
We were wrong!
The first sale of the day amused me - I hope the person who will receive the money is also amused.
A man came in...."She wants a bread bin". And Bill and the man found a bread bin, sitting on the counter in the back of the shop.
No price on it.
I phoned Terry - it must be her's.
But Terry thought it was mine!
What should we do - man wanted the bread bin. It was not an old bread bin - a sort of retro copy of the original enamel bread bins. It wasn't worth much.
Terry and I chatted - we could either ask him to return when we had found who it belonged to and what price it should be.....or we could sell it! It had been on the counter for quite a while.
Terry and I decided on a suitable price.......and the man took it away.
Risky for all, I am thinking. First - the "she" who wanted a bread bin might have had her heart set upon the old antique ones.
Then, risky too, for us - maybe the bread bin was never meant to be sold.
Ah well - we were satisfied, for we had a sale in the book.
We didn't expect many more.
And then soon we were wrapping china - £170 pounds worth of china. All red roses and gilding.
Lots of the stuff.
Fortunately our Chinese customers went away so that we could wrap without them breathing over our shoulders.
When they returned, they bought a coffee set - another £60 on the books.
We sold a hat and a pair of shoes - vintage 1930s.
There was an old ceramic lemon squeezer......not being bought for pancake day (tomorrow).
I enjoyed re-arranging some of my kitchen section - I wanted to get the chickens on display; the ones I bought in Hassocks last week.
I have more bits for the kitchen area now.
A lady phoned about jelly moulds. She had a friend drive her to the shop last Friday, only to be told that the people in that day were not interested; but perhaps Paula would be interested.
She sounded old and fragile.
I discovered that she lived on a road that we pass on our way home, so I offered to call round and have a look.
We had a very pleasant time and ascertained that she had more things she needed to get rid of. I think Jo might be getting in touch with her tomorrow.
I, of course, gave her too much for what she had.
But this jelly mould is quite special.









She lives on a steep hill in Dorking and we left her and continued to the top......"I wonder where this road comes out" says Bill.
I warned him that I thought we would be heading towards Leith Hill.
And my sense of direction was correct.
And so it was that we were driving through lanes over the Surrey Hills as darkness fell in the snow.
Lots of snow had fallen up there. It was both beautiful and eerie.
Eventually - after several miles - we found ourselves on far more familiar roads and on our way home.