Wednesday, November 14, 2012

 

work and play

Why does it take me so long?
Ashley claims to be able to describe something for EBay in 3 minutes.
Not me.....by the time I have studied the book in order to describe it, many minutes have passed. But I have enjoyed those minutes browsing through books; and almost all of today's books have been about Sussex.
I have 14 ready to be listed at the weekend.
And I shall relist the box of handkerchiefs - the ones with George Best on the box - because the miserable weasel made no attempt to contact or pay.
This evening I asked a simple question on the memories page.
Were you a Siesta or a Mario's person in the late 50s and the 60s?
These were the town's 2 coffeee bars.
Siesta was always a bit up market, run by a very respectable middle aged couple. We called him the colonel, I don't know if he was. It attracted students, beatniks, folk and jazz people. It was the world I sensed I belonged in.
But I loved to slum it in Mario's too. It had a bit of a reputation and attracted the rockers and the like. There was a juke box in there, which I adored. Listening to Elvis (One Night with You, I remember) with a black coffee surrounded by interesting handsome bad boys was a real treat.
I am hoping somebody in the group might have some photos.
And it seems that Derek was one of those boys.
Derek - the grandson of Bill's Great Uncle John. I have been chatting, within the group, with Derek's daughter. She has also done quite a bit of family history. We must talk.