Thursday, November 15, 2012

 

odds and ends of the day.

I had hoped to share with you a photograph of one of the things I bought this morning at Ford. It is a framed photo of a steam locomotive.
I assumed there might be a copy of it somewhere on the internet.
I found one but seem unable to copy it - it is from a book.
I'll try in the morning when I can take it outdoors and photograph it without flash.
Perhaps any railway nerd has already seen a copy anyway.
It shows the steam locomotive Allan Sarle decorated and on an excursion for station masters and inspectors on the London Brighton and South Coast Railway.
The photograph in an attractive frame, is an original taken by photographers Clarke and Clarke of Clapham Junction.
When I saw it I assumed that the dealer would want a lot of money for it.
I was surprised when he asked £10 - and happy when he accepted £8.

I also bought a 1950s coffee table. I didn't notice that the wood underneath has woodworm. I think I should treat it before it goes to the shop.
That's something I have not done before - something new to learn about.

I have one or two pictures from Littlehampton. It looked so different from a week ago.
The tide was very high and the light was dim.
The water was churned up and brown.







This is the River Arun estuary.

I have been quite lazy for the rest of the day. Gentle snooze for a while as a couple on TV were Escaping to the Country.

Much chat on the Memories page.

The local paper has, this week, mentioned a meeting to discuss the proposed development in Brighton Road.
The building that used to be The Imperial Cinema and much much later the home of Gadsdon's garage is to be knocked down.
Somebody said the facade of the building would be retained - hope so.
I posted this lovely postcard of this part of Brighton Road in the 1900s.




In complete contrast we have also been chatting about Ifield Parade.
Chatting with a grand daughter of the couple who owned the village shop - knew the family well.
I even told her that my Mum was a bit worried that he would slice the ham and bacon with a cigarette in his mouth, ash threatening to fall at any moment. She laughed - and of course we all came to no harm.

So who in the UK has been to vote today?
Not me!
It is the first time that I have deliberately chosen not to vote in an election.
This one just seems all wrong.
Why would I want to vote for a politician to lead my local police force?
And that is basically all I know about the candidates - which party they represent.
Of course each one of them says they want to do all sorts of things for the police which will benefit the people.
But who are these people? Why do they want the job really?
And in my county, as in many others, it is a foregone conclusion that candidates belonging to locally favoured parties will win.
I sense that the population as a whole wants nothing to do with this scheme.
Sorry Mr Cameron - you have got it wrong; you are out of touch.
But you, of course, might think differently.