Wednesday, February 22, 2012

 

Some regrets.

Regrets - I've had a few.
And this one I choose to mention.
I was unable to create a new blog posting yesterday evening, nor again this morning. Frustrating.
On my blog there was an instruction - been there for weeks, months even, - suggesting I try the new blog interface.....I wondered about it and then hit the button.
I still couldn't create a posting, nor could I return to the old style interface. Unless, I installed Google Chrome.
Having done that I could post my pancake pictures. Hooray!
Except that I don't like Google Chrome - does anybody?
Where is the little tool that will take me instantly back to a page I was looking at several pages ago? That is so useful when dealing with many different things on EBay in quick succession.
So many little details set me on edge for not being as user friendly as before.
Since then Google Chrome has been uninstalled and re-installed a few times today.
Oh Paula - you shouldn't have broken the unwritten rule about not changing things; except that in this case something did need fixing.
I did need to have the ability to create my blog.
And another regret I choose to mention.
We have a savings account with ING. It has been in my name only because I don't pay tax. This has rankled Bill a bit...."oh go on then" I agreed today "put your name on the account." We get almost no interest anyway these days - so there is very little to tax.
Several phone calls later we established that we would have to open a new joint account.
Bill does all the online banking, so knows far more about it than I do. That is not difficult, because I would claim to know almost nothing. People at the other end of the phone would ask me a question and I would turn, appealing to Bill for the answer......"Excuse me" man barked "no prompting". If I was heard to receive answers from other people I would have failed the test.
Stupid complications because we thought about changing things.
This afternoon was a much more regretful time.
We went to Epsom to see French Julie. Oh my, life is draining away. She is a fragile tiny little old lady, lying bored and lonely in a hospital bed. She told me straight that the only way she would be leaving there would be feet first and could it be soon please. I know how easy it is to feel like that with the body struggling to survive; but maybe with the right medication she would be well enough to go home to be cared for there. She would like that. She would rather end her life at home than in that cramped hospital ward.
We talked. She was able to laugh a little. I am glad about that.
I feel mentally shattered now - have I kissed a final goodbye to this dear woman who has been part of my Dorking life?
She is hating these days - but I think she carries few regrets about her long life.