Saturday, February 04, 2012

 

OK - so it snowed!

So, we have a temporary white world.
It is less cold than last night, but snow is falling and it is predicted that there will be large amounts overnight.
It began after we arrived back from Dorking.
I hadn't felt cold all day there - but I was wearing a lot, very many layers.
I weighed myself on getting up and then found within a few minutes I had put on 14 pounds - all my clothes, my coat and my boots.
When we arrived at the shop I checked the thermometer that I had taken in.
Good grief - the indoor temperature at the back of the shop was 2 degrees.
I attempted to persuade Stephen that this was much too cold - I am not sur eif he feels cold. I laughingly commented that he wasn't wearing very much different from normal....."Oh yes", he said "I have a T shirt on under my cotton shirt!"
It did warm up of course - but the temperature didn't creep much above 10 degrees.
Is it worth investing in extra heating for the fairly few really bad days?
The same will be said tomorrow morning as the country grinds to a halt after major snow falls. Is it worth a struggling economy putting money into major snow clearance for just a very few days?
The day at the shop was very pleasant - despite the cold (which I wasn't feeling anyway).
On Saturdays many more people are in and out - mostly just browsing and enjoying being the sort of people who look round antiques shops.
Both Bill and  sold things.
Monika came in for a while.
Between us we ate far too much - somebody had left some chocolates to be shared. I bought chocolate and chilli cookies (really yum yum!), Monika bought a lemon drizzle cake and we had lots of hot drinks.
So today has been cold.....see this picture.....

Even the salty sea began to freeze near Sandbanks, Dorset. This is from the BBC news web site.

Tomorrow will not be a day for going out really - but I bet we will.
Snow means photographs.
Snow means snow men.
Snow means becoming a child for a while.

I think I shall spend most of the day describing more crested china recently acquired.
And cooking a roast beef dinner.