Monday, January 30, 2012

 

Today's treat and hopefully next year's treat.

Today has been a lovely day in Dorking - not the weather, which has mostly been grey and rather cold.
I was determined that this week it was the turn of Bill and I to get a break from the shop, and that is how things turned out.
Such a treat in the middle of the day.
We took one parcel to the post office and then crossed the road where we were lured away from our first idea of a venue (Cafe Rouge) by the thought of January's special offer in The Surrey Yeoman.
The offer was a sandwich, chips and a drink for £4.99.
The sandwich could be any from their sandwich menu.....so we chose the most expensive!
This turned out to be 3 slices of thick tasty seedy bread (toasted on the outside) with 2 different fillings; there was chargrilled chicken in one and bacon lettuce and tomato in the other, each with a dressing. There was also a little side salad. This sandwich alone would have cost £4.75!
The chips were well cooked - would have cost £1.65.
Not sure how much my white wine and Bill's pint of cider would have cost.....but you can see that £4.99 was a very good offer indeed.
It was warm and friendly in the pub....and so comfortable.
After all the food we ate, I could have put my feet up on that lovely sofa and had a doze!






























Ooooh! We felt good! We returned to the shop feeling really relaxed and happy.

Sales have not been wonderful today - but at least Bill was on the sales sheet.

Today a seed has been planted in my brain....and I already feel the growth of healthy shoots.
Maybe this time next year we could be in Thailand.
I have been envious of all the interesting festivals and events going on in Phuket just now and today Jamie posted some wonderful pictures.
Last night I talked of the beautiful little street called Soi Romanee.
Here is a picture taken at the weekend.
Interesting stalls and Soi Romanee - my idea of heaven!
It has been the old Phuket Festival with all sorts going on - shows, street entertainments, food, music.
Jamie and family went on one of the free canal boat rides. Once the canals were the towns main thoroughfares - now they are not used and need some renovation to make yet another attraction for everybody.
Jamie certainly knows how to create fantastic photographs from quite difficult situations.
Perhaps when I know that he has posted them on flickr, I can let you know where to find all his pictures. Well not exactly all - he told me he took 200 photographs over the weekend.

It would be great to be there next year - though as yet the dates are not certain.
It would be brilliant for us to escape winter for 3 weeks and to experience more local culture and traditions.
It might seem like a down side to be there when Jamie has to work long hours and the children will be at school, but it was like that when I went on my own and I enjoyed just being part of family routine. I would collect the children from their classrooms and feel like I was a part of their school world. We can always drive Jamie to work and have the day free for us and then collect him in the evening. Or we could enjoy some days out with Mam - lunch and shopping eh Mam?
Oh I am excited already.