Wednesday, January 25, 2012

 

My first - and second - experience of haggis.

Lovely evening - long, leisurely evening meal.
Delicious!
That's my verdict on the haggis. I have never eaten it before. I am sure there are many varieties - in fact I tried 2 this evening. There was the badly cooked variety and the well cooked variety.
Never having eaten it before I sort of thought that maybe it was meant to be hard and crunchy - that was until I got to the solid ball of rock hard haggis. I asked if I could have some better haggis and got a complete new dinner.
It was soft and tasty and the potatoes and swede were just great.

There were 6 of us dining together - Julie and Roger and Jane and Geoff. None of them had the same meal as me. Bill and Julie and Roger had steak with a layer of haggis spread over it. They agreed with me that the haggis was really good.

We talked and reminisced - The Jubilee Oak was many years ago, Woolworths.
We could all recall the grocery counter inside the doors on the left hand side - where there were tins of biscuits from which half a pound would be weighed and put into a paper bag. We also could remember the wooden floors. Young people won't know what I am talking about!

Time for a cuppa and then bed.