Sunday, January 29, 2012

 

Memories and so on.

Sunday at home.
I spent some time this morning doing something I have been planning for a while....I added to my Pilgrims Antiques Centre blog. It is almost a year since I contributed anything to it.
I will add postings regularly this year - but not weekly. I cannot spend every Monday just sorting out photographs for the blog.
Here is the website of my shop blog....click on and enjoy a tour round the shop.
http://pilgrimsantiquesweststreetdorking.blogspot.com/
I am sure that I mostly do this blog for my own pleasure.
But I see that despite me not adding anything for so long, I get visitors (between 10 and 15) to the site every day; not the kind that just flick from blog to blog either - people obviously stay a while and read and look at pictures.
Grandma P gets anything from 25 to 45 visitors each day. Bless you all for spending just a few minutes to see what I have been up to.

The morning was full of sport too....not quite true, I had to allow the tennis players to get on without me as I worked on the shop blog.
What an amazing match was the Australian Final.
We watched some of the first set as we ate breakfast.........and 5 hours later we had a light lunch, watching the final set.
Djokevic and Nadal - 2 fine specimens of manhood with such skill, stamina and mental strength.
Either could have won - and I would have been pleased for either of them.
But I did find myself smiling that bit more as Djokevic hit winning shots.
The sporting news of the afternoon was the draw for the next round of the FA Cup.
Crawley have drawn a premier division side at home......and yet I am disappointed that its Stoke. They are good, of course, but without the charisma of the really big clubs.
It was left to Brighton to get the charisma - they travel to Liverpool. Think back, people, Brighton have knocked Liverpool out on two previous occasions.
Oh good grief! I just looked it up....was it really almost 30 years ago that they did it (1983 and 1984).?
Happy memories!

Memories too of happy days in Thailand.
In 2009, Bill and I enjoyed one of those special moments when we were invited into a cafe and entertained by the host. We hadn't planned to go there, but were so happy that we did.
This was not, at that time, a cafe Jamie had visited.
The owner is a lawyer who gives time to helping people sort out problems at no charge.
He is also a jazz enthusiast and holds impromptu jazz evenings in the cafe. People with instruments do not get charged for drinks.
We had no instruments - but were not charged either.
It was so good to be drinking a wonderful tea with strains of Ella Fitzgerald wafting through the room.


There were so many interesting things in the cafe; and conversation was interesting too.
Since then, of course, Jamie has become familiar with the cafe - Glastnost, it is called and is in the most beautiful little street in Phuket Town.

This is the part of town that draws us like a magnet and where I long to be, when I think of Thailand. Part of the old town is within me and I like to think that a little part of me is in the old town now.
How I would have liked to be there last weekend. It was the Old Phuket festival.

This year’s event will be the 13th anniversary of the popular Old Phuket Town Festival which is held in collaboration with the Chinese New Year. The festival is held at the heart of the Old Town on Thalang, Krabi, and Phuket Roads and along the famous Soi Rommanee. Thalang Road and Soi Rommanee will be converted into walking streets during the festival. Expect many colourful entertainment options including a Phuket Baba Light Show, a rickshaw tour around the streets, cultural parades, Chinese opera performances, Chinese folk dancing troupes and more.

The Phuket Monks were there of course.
And here, in Glastnost are 2 musicians that I love.