Friday, February 03, 2012

 

The ethics of dealing.

It was not exactly a lazy day, but it takes just a few words to tell that I wrapped crested china very carefully and dealt with invoices and some payments.
I had hoped to sell more of the 18 pieces that I listed on EBay - but the 7 that did sell have made me very happy.
Some crested china is not much sought after and is therefore almost worthless - except perhaps to the one person who might want it.
I normally suggest that items with the crests of seaside places are so common place that few people collect them.
And yet, today it was a piece for a seaside place that has brought in the most money - Cromer. Its attraction was that it was a horse.
I have parcels to post tomorrow.
That will be at Dorking post office in the morning. We are doing an extra day at the shop.
I have been faced with another EBay quandary today. You may know that I insist that I never finish auctions early because it is not fair to the existing bidders. My early 20thc Sussex Cricket Club ephemera has now been found by somebody from the Club museum.
I didn't know there was a club museum - perhaps I should have guessed and offered the stuff.
The man who contacted thinks it would be honest to inform all the bidders that I have removed the items for sale and that if they want to see them, they should visit the County Ground.
It might be honest and truthful, but is it fair?
I have decided that the Club Museum, established at a fairly wealthy sports club, will have to bid what they think the items are worth.
If they don't get them I shall point the winning bidders towards the Sussex Museum.
I think that is the best I can do.
Maybe I can placate the museum with a couple of pages of my own autograph book when I got the autographs of 1950s Sussex cricketers.

Right, time for another glass of white wine on this cold evening - not cold indoors of course.
Will it snow tomorrow night?
The Met Office web site still says that there could be some light snow - but no more than that.
The weather forecasts on TV and radio (based on the Met Office information) seems to suggest that we should all take heed of very difficult days ahead with thick layers of snow.
I know it will be very cold - and I am thinking of Pilgrim's Antiques when I say that!