Tuesday, February 28, 2012

 

February 28th - a special day.

February 28th.......there were not enough hours today!
I should have started the day earlier perhaps.
Forty one years ago I certainly started it earlier - in fact I might well have been on the go for a full 24 hours.
The day before had been busy - we entertained quite a family gathering to tea. As the evening wore on I became aware that this would be the night to complete our family. Ashley was born at twenty past one in the morning. Did I doze later on? I don't know.
The next day  I took the wee babe home from the hospital (over 8 and half pounds, so not so wee really) to meet his brother.






















Having been born on February 28th, people were wont to comment that it was fortunate that he hadn't been a leap year baby. Don't know why it was said - 1971 wasn't a leap year.
But 1924 was.
And my Mum was a leap year baby.
Tomorrow would have been her 22nd birthday.
I don't think she minded - birthdays were not forgotten. They were usually celebrated on the 28th, though I do remember a year when there was awful weather on the 28th and she decided to leave it until the next day.
I spent a while getting together a series of photos of Ashley - one for each year until adulthood; either taken on his birthday or quite near his birthday. I posted them on facebook.

Consequently I haven't got as far as I would have liked with wedding photos. I am about a quarter of the way through sorting them all out.
I did show all the photos to Frieda this morning.....lots of "ooohs" and "Aaahs" and "I say's"
Oh Frieda - you know what weddings are! But she would keep saying  "It all has a meaning doesn't it?" But she seemed to be unsure of the meaning.
But then she did come in with the words that she had seen something on TV that I was connected with...."The German ship that sunk that you will make lots of money from"
The "German" ship was The Titanic - I had told her about the talk we went to. Yes, if I did have something connected with The Titanic, it would indeed make me  a lot of money. I had also told her about an EBay sale that had done well. It all became one story.

I have written up some of the stock I have bought in the last week or so, and done loads of little tasks on my things to do list. One thing to do ended up being to write down some of them again for tomorrow!