Saturday, October 22, 2011

 

Swanbourne Lake Arundel.

Lovely day with lots to do.
We were at Ford by 8 o'clock. Almost by first purchases was a silly hat. It will appear in  a picture later.
There was a chilly wind (or willy chinned as Bill is wont to say) blowing across the boot sale site. The sun was shining though and the air was crisp and fresh.
I can't say that I bought a great deal - enough to make a bit of money to add to the holiday fund.
I had been hoping to buy West German vases. I had worked out my negotiating skills to get 8 for a price I could work with. But, damn it, the seller wasn't there this week.
Time for breakfast - almost the last time we will be at The Balaton this year. The family have one more week until they close for their holiday for 3 months.
We walked by the river and on the beach.
But I had another walk in mind and we set off back to Arundel.
Once before we had driven along a road close to the river and saw various landmarks, including a large lake. We had never stopped along there until today.
We found ourselves at Swanbourne Lake - part of the Arundel Castle Estate.
I think I have been there once before - over 50 years ago. I cycled there with my friend Mogs when I was staying at her house near Storrington.
Swanbourne Lake nestles in the river valley within the South Downs.
Our first thought was that it was an extremely popular place. Did the people come to see the birds? Or did the birds come because the people came with food?






























I loved the birds  and was able to make them the subjects of this week's portraits.


I really don't know what this water bird is. What a strange creature!






























Bill would be the first to admit that this is not much of a picture.
But, at least Stella can now confirm (or refute) that this bird is a buzzard.
There were several of them whirling and circling over some trees on the downland slopes.

I had assumed that there would be a fine display of autumn colours on our walk.
But the bigger trees are still quite green.
There were some berries and seeds and some orange leafed trees.






























Old man's beard and spindle berries.

We had no idea what these seeds were.  I somehow imagine spears of little yellow flowers being there in the summer months.































At one point on our walk we had to climb over a stile.
Yes, that's my silly £1 hat keeping the chilly wind out of my hair and ears.
See the little portcullis style door to be lifted for dogs to go through.






























We could spy one of the castle estate lodge houses peeping over the brow of  The Downs.


More autumn seeds.






























Beautiful leaves.

We had hoped to have a drink at the pub, The Black Rabbit, at the end of road.
Pehaps everybody for miles around had had the same thought.
It was crowded with folks enjoying Saturday lunch at tables beside the River Arun.
The queue inside to order food - and drink - was long. Bill could have been waiting 20 minutes or more just to order 2 half pints.
We'll have to return at  a less busy time.

The Black Rabbit has been popular for a long time. here is an early postcard with visitors enjoying themselves.

A view of Arundel Castle along the River Arun, from The Black Rabbit.

What a lovely day.

Labels: