Sunday, October 16, 2011

 

Phuket. Last day. Rim Tang and Rawai.

I want to put Thailand to bed.
I will do a couple of blog postings today about the last day.
I missed out some activities at the beginning - I had not at that time worked out that getting up before the family would be best to get blogs done.

The weather was generally fine on our last day.
And I am pleased to say that we did something new as well as things familiar.
We had lunch at Rim Tang in Phuket Town.
This is a traditional Phuket eating place and we ordered moo hong (I think).
My drink was iced lemon tea.

And then I greedily enjoyed sticky rice and mango.
This picture appeared on a Jamie blog posting a while ago.
https://www.jamiesphuketblog.com/2009/02/rimtang-restaurant-in-phuket-town.html
I have found recipes for the sticky rice and must have a go.

Then we went to Rawai on the south coast. Bill and I have been there before for lunch and to go on a long tail boat to a local island.
I get pictures from Rawai on facebook everyday from a Rawai group.
This time we walked along the track by the sea gypsy village.






























I call this picture of Bill's "Sea Urchins".

We all love portraits.





























The men mostly doze, chat and drink the afternoons away.
Some were making a huge fishing basket.
Jamie told an interesting anecdote.
A business man saw the way the fishing people lived - dozing, chatting and drinking. He suggested to one that he work a bit harder and he would then have enough money to invest in a business of his own, employing people. He should continue to work hard and he would have all he wanted.
"Then what?" asks the fisherman.
"Well you would retire when you are old and have freedom to meet up with your friends to doze and chat and drink the afternoons away.
























































































Jamie's advice for photographing people is to take 2 in quick succession. People tend to pose seriously for a photo and then laugh when it has been done. His pictures of the pineapple seller showed this.

Delicious pineapple.

Bill photographed a very different kind of portrait.