Tuesday, October 18, 2011

 

No nasty surprises.

This is a day when I should be full of the joys of autumn.
But I have a back ache - goodness knows where that came from.

But never mind the back ache that I have - because the good news is that I don't have cancer.
I saw the new registrar this morning at the hospital. He was able to tell me that the CT scan showed no abnormalities.
Everything is as it should be.
The senior doctors of the department are brilliant and always pleasant - but they know very little about the mechanics of stoma bags.
He thought I could peel off the bag to see underneath and then quickly stick it back down.
No - Mr Registrar!
There would have had to be a new bag, with all that that entails.
We were in and out of the hospital within half an hour.
Other folks find cause to grumble about their hospital visits; I have nothing but praise for the urology department.

On the way home we called in at a charity shop.
Did I need a new smart jacket? No, not really. But how could I leave a Debenhams jacket that fitted me well when it was offered for just £1 on the bargain rack? I bought a couple of other items too.

Later I went to see the osteoporosis special nurse.
Frankly the only benefit that this appointment was to me was that I had been seen and am now in the system to be monitored.
She seemed to think that I am already doing most of what I can do.
I need more calcium - but only if I am actually absorbing it.
Tomorrow I start the osteoporosis drug - alendronic acid.

After lunch it was Bill's turn- he went to Crawley hospital for his routine blood test, which he has every 8 weeks to monitor any problems that could be caused by his rheumatoid arthritis drug.
Later, between us, we pretty well completed the ironing.
I am not one to do very much ironing, but I had 3 weeks worth of cotton clothing, which definitely looks better ironed.
We also entertained Frieda and later Rose.
Rose is really worried about Frieda. Frieda struggles to know things or remember things. She gets very confused by the smallest things. She may well have lost a letter from the hospital because, although it had her name on it, the house number was wrong. She refused to accept it.
We bought a decorative pot of silk flowers for her in Thailand. They are very pretty. We explained that they were not real and made of fabric.
She still asked about how much water she should give them!

Medical matters are not yet over - flu jabs in the morning for both of us.