Sunday, October 23, 2011

 

Food and drink today and 4 weeks ago in Phuket.

Not a lazy day - but it was a stay at home day.
That makes it a bit like the Sunday 4 weeks ago - a Thai Sunday.
Today we began with a late breakfast. I'm afraid I confused some people on facebook when I wrote in Monkland language and said we had oiled beggs.
I don't know what I had for breakfast 4 weeks ago. The day before it had been a bowl of left overs from Friday night's dinner - rice, prawns and vegetables.

We had lunch out 4 weeks ago - after a shopping trip to Tescos.
Tesco Lotus is like a French hypermarket, with lots of smaller shops and stalls and cafes on the site.
Tesco seem to be hellbent on taking over Phuket. Another super store opened whilst we were there and smaller Tesco Express shops have sprung up all over the place.
We ate at MK.
MK Restaurants is primarily a mixture of Thai and Chinese cuisine. The main menu features Thai-style suki that is a hot pot of fresh meats and vegetables ...


The cooking pot is on a hot plate in the middle of the table.
Everybody chooses things to be thrown in the pot along with noodles and green vegetables.
Jamie wasn't with us - he had to work that day.































John tucks in - using chopsticks. I just can't get my fingers to cope with chopsticks.
Looks like the piece of meat only just made it to his mouth though.

Bill has installed my new printer - and it works. All I have to do is absorb how best to lay out my photos.
Bill has also been out in the garden, planting 15 autumn flowering cyclamen. We bought the tray of plants yesterday for £10.
I wrote up my purchases from yesterday. They are now ready (most of them) for the shop.

Of course, being an at home day there has been a chance for lots of pausing to enjoy another cup of tea.
On that day 4 weeks ago I was busy with the children creating the tea china.

Jessica, the new Clarice Cliffe of the 21st century.
I wonder if Clarice would get so impatient waiting for the paint to dry!

Quite soon John had a cup and saucer ready.
Later he would decorate it.






























I was impressed with this decoration on the tea pot.
Jessica realised that on a small surface, simple is more effective.
She spent more time on the other side and it looks good - but it doesn't have the stand out appeal of the black on green.






























John working on his cup and saucer.

There is more in the box, children. I would love to know that you finish it all one day......or do you need me to bully you?

This evening we had chicken fillets in garlic and herbs with a dish of potatoes, onions and mushrooms, also broccoli.
A meal a bit like the one Mam cooked 4 weeks ago.






























Look, on the right there are some potatoes for the foreigners.
Mam doesn't eat potatoes - most suspicious of foreign food!
That's a bit like old folks here in the UK who cannot think about foodstuffs that were not available in the olden days when they were young.