Tuesday, July 12, 2011

 

Quiet day.

How old is old?
My grandparents were always old.
And yet, when I was 10 years old, my Granny was younger than I am now.
How old are our possessions?
I am proud of my old saucepans - now 46 years old. That is quite old for a saucepan.
I was musing on this yesterday when a young woman came in to the shop - not that young, no longer still a girl.
She wondered if people would look at her "old" coins with a view, I guess of making her fortune.
We looked in wonder - not wonder at the fabulous coins, but wonder that she deemed them to be of interest.
There were some pennies from early in the 1900s - not old for a coin really, although obsolete.
There were also coins from our own Queen's reign.
The penny was dated 1964 - almost 50 years old, older than my saucepans, just.
She had a threepenny bit - also a Queen Elizabeth II coin.
The woman was entranced at the strange coins that used to be around in historical times!
She left with a smile (mostly our smiles!) and good wishes to her daughter who might like to start a mini coin collection (we suggested) with these virtually worthless items.
But in the antiques trade, it is not age that is always important. It is the desire of many people to own something.
Nobody would want my 1960s saucepans.
However, very many people want things designed by the style icons of the 60s and things connected with the Beatles, for example.

Today has been a quiet day - an energyless day.
We got up late.
Eventually organised ourselves to go to Lidl - needed loo rolls and other essentials. Didn't need the bottle of wine, but will enjoy it later in the week.

This afternoon I went through books in the garage and pulled out  almost everything that has been sitting out there for more than a year and always was destined for EBay. These must be next (big) batch to be described and listed.
But first I need to deal with some other things already prepared for EBay. I described and listed just 6 more things.

This evening we watched a little more TV after Emmerdale.
We turned to BBC4 - home channel for nerds!
A fascinating little peep at the  art deco styles of the London Underground and its headquarters.

Time for a cuppa and back to bed!