Tuesday, July 05, 2011

 

The kettle.

I finished last night with a mention of the kettle.
The kettle has been a part of today too.

The morning, with lovely sunshine and warmth seems a while ago now. Rain is falling.

Our first job of the day was to work out who was having the car and who must make their own way to appointments.
I had the car and set off to the doctor's surgery for an appointment with the nurse; it was to be just one of their routine check ups.
Bill caught the bus into town and walked  on to his appointment with the osteopath.
I breezed into the doctor's and signed in on the machine, which didn't recognise me.
"Ah" said the receptionist, "that's because your appointment is tomorrow"
Now, I don't actually think the error was my fault. When I made the appointment the woman who dealt with it seemed in a dream and very inexperienced. I didn't see her today - perhaps she had just been taken on and had realised she wasn't up to the job.
But, then again, perhaps both Bill and I got it wrong.
I felt twinges of guilt that Bill had had to find his own way and so I went to meet him.

We met up and mentioned the kettle.
Our kettle has a flip up lid, which suddenly refused to flip up on Sunday.
It could be filled through the spout - but we decided to replace the thing.
Curry's were useless - what's new there?
Comet is on the same site, so we went there.
I knew what I wanted - and, maybe stupidly, it wasn't the cheapest plastic kettle available.
The kitchen is the centre of my home and I like, where possible, to be able to use things that are both stylish and functional - especially the things which are on permanent display.
My sense of thriftiness denied me the most favoured kettle.
But I found one, being sold for half price that was sturdy and also quite stylish.
Good!
I hadn't realised that Bill would want a wander round the store.
And so it was that we bought a vacuum cleaner too.
Bill tends to be the one who has most contact with our vacuum cleaner and even he is finding it more and more of a strain to carry it upstairs.
I suggested ages ago that perhaps we could do with a small one - powerful but not too heavy was what we wanted.
For the first time in our married lives we now have a hoover that is a Hoover!

Back home Bill made a comment about the price of the kettle and the vacuum cleaner being fairly similar.
"No" I said - "the kettle was reduced"
I was quite sure. The computer site just quoted the higher price.
But this afternoon when Bill went out again he queried the price and this time I had been correct.

Bill took some flowers to the cemetery for the family grave, but mostly for his mother whose birthday would have been yesterday. She would have been 89.
Lots of the family have commented on FB how pleased they are that he has done this.
Bill then went to see Mr and Mrs Sayers - Den and Ru, who live in the house next to the old Monk family home.
They have recently celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary.

I stayed home and photographed some bits and pieces to be described on EBay.

And now I think it is time to put the new kettle on and make a cup of tea.